Dropped third force out at home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Boston
This happened to me in a high school game. My team was batting. 2 outs bases loaded. Strike three dropped third. Runners advance but the batter is just standing at home. Girl on third scores then catcher throws to first for the force and third out. I assume the run does not count as the third out was a force out. Umpire said she scored before the out so the run counts.

It’s like saying a runner on second with 2 outs and girl hits one to outfield. Girl scores but batter falls and they throw her out at first by force. Run shouldn’t count.
thoughts on my bases loaded scene. I asked a few umps and they all had different answers.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Just a matter of proper verbiage, there is no such thing as a force out at 1st base, That is simply a BR being put out prior to reaching 1st base safely.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The NCAA rule:

6.2.3 No run shall be scored if the third out of an inning is the result of:
6.2.3.1 A batter-runner being called out before reaching first base or any other base runner forced out because of the batter becoming a batter runner.

May 20, 2016
Always was told dropped third strike doesn't matter with bases loaded as it was just considered a K. Have seen the same call in UTrip with runners on first and second.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Always was told dropped third strike doesn't matter with bases loaded as it was just considered a K. Have seen the same call in UTrip with runners on first and second.

Only true with less than 2 outs.

With 2 outs, dropped third strike is on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13