Dropped 3rd strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 6, 2013
If you are trying to keep you book consistent with conventional standards for "official scoring"..

I want to point out couple Misunderstandings in prior posts ( quoted below).

PASSED BALLS are NOT ERRORS.

You record K WP or K PB (depending on if scorer determines the pitch was wild or catcher should have caught, WP will not impact Earned Run, but Passed Ball May.. once you recreate the inning)

For Reference: According to the National FastPitch Coaches Association:

V - illegal pitches, wild pitches, passed balls or hit batters are not recorded as errors, even if more than one base is gained from the initial misplay.

A passed ball is charged to the catcher when she fails to catch a pitch which could have been caught with ordinary effort and at least one baserunner advances.

source: http://www.softballclinics.com/pdf/Score-Keeping.pdf

Most of the time, a dropped third strike is recorded as a strikeout for the pitcher and an error on the catcher. If the batter swings at a really crappy pitch, it could be scored as a strikeout and a wild pitch.
that is how I understand it too... bad pitch is not an error, passed ball, error on 2. always a K. you have to judge on the earned run issue...

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You can NEVER assume a foul tip should have been caught. It is simply a foul/strike.

You can give an error for a missed foul pop up that should have resulted and out that allows the batter to reach base later in the at bat that could result in unearned run(s).

I agree with Sweet Lou, but have not figured out how to give a player an error on a missed pop foul in GameChanger or iScore.....anyone know how to do it?

Oct 6, 2013
I agree with Sweet Lou, but have not figured out how to give a player an error on a missed pop foul in GameChanger or iScore.....anyone know how to do it?

in Iscore.. Misc > Assign Error.. you can also type in a note if you want to describe in more detail

(a lessor know feature of iScore ..it also lets you place the location of the foul bowl if you "swipe" the foul button)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand