Dropped 3rd strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Howdy Folks,
When keeping stats on pitchers where do you put the dropped 3rd strike?
Is it marked as a strike and when that runner scores you count the run as an earned run?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Howdy Folks,
When keeping stats on pitchers where do you put the dropped 3rd strike?
Is it marked as a strike and when that runner scores you count the run as an earned run?

First, it is recorded as a strikeout. Then, you have to rule whether it was a wild pitch or passed ball. Passed ball would be an unearned run. Wild pitch would be an earned run. (Keep in mind that how the runner got on third base might also determine if the run is earned. I was simplifying.)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most of the time, a dropped third strike is recorded as a strikeout for the pitcher and an error on the catcher. If the batter swings at a really crappy pitch, it could be scored as a strikeout and a wild pitch.

Jul 24, 2013
that is how I understand it too... bad pitch is not an error, passed ball, error on 2. always a K. you have to judge on the earned run issue...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Foul ball is a dead ball, no?
Not sure what runs could be a result of a foul ball?

Yes, dead ball (once the ball is missed). But I'm talking about a future run.

Failing to catch the foul tip for strike three could result in that runner later reaching base and scoring in the future. I was differentiating between a missed foul tip (no error, therefore can't be blamed for a a future unearned run) and a missed foul popup (error, possibly leading to an unearned run later).

Last edited:

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
A ball that is hit but stays in foul ball territory. You know, the ones that go over the fence and end up landing in front of the concession stand.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Yes, dead ball (once the ball is missed). But I'm talking about a future run.

Failing to catch the foul tip for strike three could result in that runner later reaching base and scoring in the future. I was differentiating between a missed foul tip (no error, therefore can't be blamed for a a future unearned run) and a missed foul popup (error, possibly leading to an unearned run later).
You can NEVER assume a foul tip should have been caught. It is simply a foul/strike.

You can give an error for a missed foul pop up that should have resulted and out that allows the batter to reach base later in the at bat that could result in unearned run(s).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand