Dropped 3rd strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You can NEVER assume a foul tip should have been caught. It is simply a foul/strike.

You can give an error for a missed foul pop up that should have resulted and out that allows the batter to reach base later in the at bat that could result in unearned run(s).

Agreed.

What I said does not contradict that, but you have stated it much more clearly than I did.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We had an umpire for 2 games yesterday who was wearing a PIAA patch on his shirt (I assumed he had umpiring experience in high school games). He made multiple bad calls on DTS in the 2 games. Afterwards, he came up to me and said he had never umpired a game using the DTS rule!! :eek: I'm guessing he umpires primarily slow pitch? His strike zone was pretty high...:p

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Okay what about a foul ball? Does that get recorded at all? If so as what?

We played a game the other night and our 3B dropped a "can of corn" foul ball.....since it was a foul ball it was not recorded as an error, but I wanted to at least put an asterisk next to it in the book!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We played a game the other night and our 3B dropped a "can of corn" foul ball.....since it was a foul ball it was not recorded as an error, but I wanted to at least put an asterisk next to it in the book!

This is ironic, JAD. Dropping a foul popup actually IS an error. :) Third baseman must be charged for that, even if the batter still fails to reach base.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
I do not have the mental ability to track the whole game. I am just starting to learn how to record stats for the pitchers.
So how would I record that foul ball for the pitcher?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I do not have the mental ability to track the whole game. I am just starting to learn how to record stats for the pitchers.
So how would I record that foul ball for the pitcher?

Are you talking about a foul tip that the catcher failed to catch for a third strike? Pitcher is not credited with a strikeout for that.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A foul ball with 2 strikes doesn't change the count on the batter so you can effectively ignore it (or make a tick mark in the book if your are keeping track of how many pitches each pitcher throws)

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
So would I record the first 2 fouls as strikes for the pitcher?
And I am talking about a ball that is hit and called foul ball by the ump regardless of if the catcher should have caught it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So would I record the first 2 fouls as strikes for the pitcher?
And I am talking about a ball that is hit and called foul ball by the ump regardless of if the catcher should have caught it.

To the scorekeeper, fouls are always strikes. So if the pitcher throws 10 pitches, and all 10 are fouled off, then the pitcher has thrown 10 pitches and 10 strikes. The count, of course, would be 0-2 (0 balls, 2 strikes). But I assume that you're asking this from the standpoint of someone keeping the book or keeping statistics. There is a stat called strike percentage. That would look like this:

called strikes + swinging strikes (which includes foul balls) + balls put in play / total number of pitches

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand