Drop dead foul

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
Ok. Girl has one strike one her. Next pitch she gets hit by pitch in finger which also hit bat. She gets hurt but isn't given chance to finish bat because ump says that it's a deadball foul and she is out. Any help to explain to me would be fine. Thanks.

May 29, 2015
umm-wait.gif

flying-high.gif

I have no explanation. Even though three left turn make a right, the many, many errors there do not.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If it happened as explained, that is just strike 2. If it was actually strike 3 it is a dead ball out. At least they got the dead ball strike bit right.

As a coach, I would be out asking the umpires in the game to get together to make sure the rule is being applied correctly. (Hopefully 2 of them don't get it wrong). If they continue to get it wrong, it is probably time to protest if the game is worth protesting.

If this was an 'important' game your coaches don't know how to protest, and they let this stand without protesting, then that is their fault.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Is it possible that either you or the Ump had the count wrong ? Did the Ump have two strikes on the clicker and that the batter was attempting a bunt ?

May 29, 2015
If it happened as explained, that is just strike 2. If it was actually strike 3 it is a dead ball out. At least they got the dead ball strike bit right.

I started to say that @marriard , but the OP didn't say the batter swung. I opted for a flabbergasted response instead.

Let's take this opportunity to address some common myths though ...
  • The hands are NOT part of the bat. Unless @CoreSoftball20 has some new model that we aren't aware of, bats do not come with hands. Well, softball and baseball bats don't. The animals do.
  • A ball that contacts the batter's hands while the batter is holding the bat is a ball that has hit the batter. It is a dead ball.
    • If the ball hits the hands and then the bat, it is ball that has hit the batter -- dead ball, award first base.
    • If the batter is swinging when that happens, it is a dead ball strike. (No, the batter cannot get a hit if the ball lands in fair territory. No, the batter does not get first base.)
    • If the ball hits the bat first (likely the knob) and then the hands, it is a foul ball.
  • Sometimes it is extremely difficult for an umpire to tell which got hit first, the hands or the knob.
  • Sometimes it is pretty easy.
There is a very bizarre situation where an umpire can call two strikes on one pitch. This isn't it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619