"Drive the rear hip to the pitcher"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I heard one of the coaches on an opposing team use this cue with their batters. I like that it puts the focus on lower body action, and emphasizes a non-bug-squishing action in the rear leg.

What's your opinion of this cue?

Mar 5, 2014
I heard one of the coaches on an opposing team use this cue with their batters. I like that it puts the focus on lower body action, and emphasizes a non-bug-squishing action in the rear leg.

What's your opinion of this cue?

I like it. Another one I like is hands and back knee go together.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I use this as well, especially with young hitters. I think it focuses on getting the hips fired through without encouraging them to get on their front foot to soon. I generally figure if I can get a young hitter to move that back hip through to the pitcher, a lot of good stuff with their body, sequence and back leg will come with it.

Jun 18, 2010
I like the cue within the context of a good sequence.
I use, "Fire the hips", "Hips then hands".

Jun 23, 2011
NC
I use and have for a long time, typically I remind them to get the back hip to the ball a little different but same thought, I also constantly am saying hips then hands over and over, just to remind them of the sequence.

Mar 5, 2014
I like the cue within the context of a good sequence.
I use, "Fire the hips", "Hips then hands".

Hips open before hands move forward, but hips don't open before hands activate or do anything. Hands are active from launch. They are flattening and getting the barrel on plane while hips are opening. This is what creates the overlap.

I don't want to teach dead hands at launch. I'm sure that's not what you're teaching knightsb, just wanted to clarify and get a little more granular.

PujolsStretch_zps3b69bca1.gif

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Hips open before hands move forward, but hips don't open before hands activate. Hands are actively flattening and getting the barrel on plane while hips are opening.

You are right. I responded without adding enough detail. "within the context of a good sequence", I use the term "Hips then hands" during the loading as in "Hips go forward, hands go back", and "Fire the hips" during swing launch.

Edit: the more I think about it, the less I like "then" in any description as that is what got me in trouble early on with Coil then Streatch then Swing. I really had my DD messed up not realizing the sequence was as Noon described:

the thing to realize about "The Sequence" is that is isn't Coil THEN Load THEN Launch. They are not a sequence as in three discrete actions that start and stop before the next one happens. It starts with coiling and you never really stop coiling. As you are coiling you will begin loading sometime after you started coiling and you really never stop loading from that point on. So then you are still coiling and still loading and then you begin launching.. here is the best I can "draw" at the moment:

* = start of the sequence to time the ball... pitcher release

*Coiling->Coiling->Coiling-> | \
*---------Loading->Loading-> | }---- THE SEQUENCE
*----------------Launching-> | /

Eric, sorry for derailing the thread....

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Here is a test. Is there a correlation of how strong that back leg coming forward is and how you step with the front foot at toe touch? If so how can you prove it or test your theory? I just did a demo on this with a high school team and yes I like what Eric posted.

Dec 11, 2010
I subscribed to a Youtube poster that posts some stuff I like. Deadredhitting.com

He just posted a video called "angle toss drill" that involves front toss from a side angle, kind of like if you were doing a 45 degree open tee drill. His cue is to take rear hip to pitcher but pitcher is behind a screen slightly opposite field.

Angle Toss Baseball Hitting Drill - YouTube

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877