Drills to improve hitting sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
[MENTION=6202]Softball Tutor[/MENTION], I think you'll find here that pivoting on the ball of the rear foot is the definition of squish the bug.
I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees about hips leading hands or using hips but you will find differences about how it happens, what is cause and what is effect.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<u><a href="https://www.discussfastpitch.com/member.php?u=6202" target="_blank">Softball Tutor</a></u>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->, I think you'll find here that pivoting on the ball of the rear foot is the definition of squish the bug.
I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees about hips leading hands or using hips but you will find differences about how it happens, what is cause and what is effect.

[MENTION=6202]Softball Tutor[/MENTION], I think you'll find here that pivoting on the ball of the rear foot is the definition of squish the bug.

Thank you [MENTION=6172]BadMonkeys[/MENTION] for challenging me and making me delve deeper into this one segment of hitting. What I am referring in pivoting is the biomechanical effect of beginning the hip rotation with the back foot driving forward into the ball rather than over or under the ball predominantly using the upper body. By pivoting rather than lifting up on the toe, the eyes are able to remain on the ball due to the maintenance of level hips during the swing and providing linear power into contact. This move is an important starting point and not the entire swing. There have been many modifications to hitting over the years based on what has been successful for others. I do not deny that many successful hitters have developed individual movement patterns however it does not mean that it will be successful for all hitters. Basic sports science is the foundation of movement which maximizes all movement at every segment to provide the most beneficial outcome.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thank you [MENTION=6172]BadMonkeys[/MENTION] for challenging me and making me delve deeper into this one segment of hitting. What I am referring in pivoting is the biomechanical effect of beginning the hip movement with the back foot driving forward into the ball rather than over or under the ball predominantly using the upper body. By pivoting rather than lifting up on the toe, the eyes are able to remain on the ball due to the maintenance of level hips during the swing and providing linear power into contact. This move is an important starting point and not the entire swing. There have been many modifications to hitting over the years based on what has been successful for others. I do not deny that many successful hitters have developed individual movement patterns however it does not mean that it will be successful for all hitters. Basic sports science is the foundation of movement which maximizes all movement at every segment to provide the most beneficial outcome.

In what way are you saying the foot moves forward?

Attachments

• Votto Walk-Off Grand Slam-Side View.jpg
    Votto Walk-Off Grand Slam-Side View.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 108

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My apologies, this shows what I am not saying. I am saying that the pivot begins the rotation forward of the hips.

ST, welcome to the site and you don't have to apologize for anything. We have brisk discussions and so, thick skin is sometimes required if you want to discuss hitting. Many of us have been at this for a few decades and on message boards for a very long time.

Last edited:
ST, welcome to the site and you don't have to apologize for anything. We have brisk discussions and so, think skin is sometimes required if you want to discuss hitting. Many of us have been at this for a few decades and on message boards for a very long time.

Thank you [MENTION=938]Cannonball[/MENTION]. I am definitely finding that more explanation and insight is required on posts here which is good thing. It is refreshing to have real discussions with people in the game knowing that we will not always agree but will sometimes have to agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In what way are you saying the foot moves forward?

12388d1511538095-drills-improve-hitting-sequence-votto-walk-off-grand-slam-side-view.jpg

Hmmm .... interesting .... maybe it's my eyes .... but what I see is the upper rear leg being turned towards the pitcher ahead of the rear lower leg .... gives the appearance of the rear foot being pulled off of the ground and at the mercy from above .... sort of like the lower rear leg is not 'active', but serving more of a 'post' ... i.e., a 'platform' being acted upon.

Not seeing what was stated above ... "the [rear foot] pivot begins the rotation forward of the hips".

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you [MENTION=938]Cannonball[/MENTION]. I am definitely finding that I need to be very sure of what I am talking about which is a good thing. It is refreshing to have real discussions with people in the game knowing that we will not always agree but will sometimes have to agree to disagree. :)

At the very least ... seek confirmation ...

Hanson Principle:
Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
12388d1511538095-drills-improve-hitting-sequence-votto-walk-off-grand-slam-side-view.jpg

Hmmm .... interesting .... maybe it's my eyes .... but what I see is the upper rear leg being turned towards the pitcher ahead of the rear lower leg .... gives the appearance of the rear foot being pulled off of the ground and at the mercy from above .... sort of like the lower rear leg is not 'active', but serving more of a 'post' ... i.e., a 'platform' being acted upon.

Not seeing what was stated above ... "the [rear foot] pivot begins the rotation forward of the hips".

FFS, correct. I've gone to teaching this portion of the swing by posting this picture, having my hitters try to duplicate the back leg actions per frame (along with the lower body) by holding onto a kitchen step ladder. The kind that has 4 steps. They turn the step ladder backwards so that the steps face away. As they try to mimic the swing, eventually, they release their front hand and then their back as they come onto the side of the foot and then toe. I realize that this is a crude method but it seems to make sense to my players. As they report for lessons, they go to this station and start mimicking the action. Something to think about. Oh, I intend to include a tape on a wall to mimic the angle from front leg through head/shoulders.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06