Drills to improve hitting sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Can you show a video with a softball hitter rather than a baseball hitter? the hitter you show "for baseball" is moving his hips and shoulders at the same time. There s no progressive rotation of the hips. Are you saying that in your opinion the core should start the rotation rather than the back foot then the hips?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Can you show a video with a softball hitter rather than a baseball hitter? the hitter you show "for baseball" is moving his hips and shoulders at the same time. There s no progressive rotation of the hips. Are you saying that in your opinion the core should start the rotation rather than the back foot then the hips?

ST, let's see some example game swings in which the back foot leads as you advocate. If you can't supply such a video, then why should folks believe you? Why should your hitters believe you? Why should you instruct what you can not verify?

Take another look at the frame sequence that CB gave you. Focus in on frames #2 and #3. Keep looking at those two frames ... see what's changing from frame #2 to frame #3.

Frames2_3.gif

Take note that the upper rear leg has turned towards the pitched ball ... and that this turning has taken place ahead of the lower rear leg and foot.

I'll wait patiently for you to support your theory with video.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
ST, personally when someone asks to see a 'female swing' over a 'male swing', I feel they are coping out. To me, a 'good swing' is a 'good swing', and it is independent of gender.

But to appease you, here's a 'female swing' ... slowed down so as to help you see that there is no 'bug squish' taking place.

No_Bug_Squish_Here.gif

ST, let's see some example game swings in which the back foot leads as you advocate. If you can't supply such a video, then why should folks believe you? Why should your hitters believe you? Why should you instruct what you can not verify?

Take another look at the frame sequence that CB gave you. Focus in on frames #2 and #3. Keep looking at those two frames ... see what's changing from frame #2 to frame #3.

Frames2_3.gif

Take note that the upper rear leg has turned towards the pitched ball ... and that this turning has taken place ahead of the lower rear leg and foot.

I'll wait patiently for you to support your theory with video.

Is attacking my credibility really necessary? I am going to respectfully chose not participate in this discussion any longer and simply agree to disagree with you. Hitting is a skill that has as many "ways" to hit as there are pitches. You will find all of them if you like. I am not saying the my method is the right way, it is simply the way I teach fundamental hitting. I am not saying that the back foot initiates the swing, I am saying it provides the drive of the hips forward.

See video.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZjwK_N0Wy0c" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
ST, I have not attacked your credibility. No interest in discussing "you" ... the interest is completely on discussing "hitting".

That said, if you are advocating something that you can not support, then I can understand why you might feel that your credibility has been shot.

Still waiting for some game-swing examples from you.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
ST, personally when someone asks to see a 'female swing' over a 'male swing', I feel they are coping out. To me, a 'good swing' is a 'good swing', and it is independent of gender.

But to appease you, here's a 'female swing' ... slowed down so as to help you see that there is no 'bug squish' taking place.

No_Bug_Squish_Here.gif

That is a great clip of the back foot rotating last.:cool:

The back foot stay squared as the hips begin and then rotates last in the sequence.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH

You won't find many people here, if any, that think a good fastpitch swing is different than a good baseball swing. Myself included.
Around the hitting sites, you'll hear references to connection and overlap.

Is attacking my credibility really necessary? I am going to respectfully chose not participate in this discussion any longer and simply agree to disagree with you. Hitting is a skill that has as many "ways" to hit as there are pitches. You will find all of them if you like. I am not saying the my method is the right way, it is simply the way I teach fundamental hitting. I am not saying that the back foot initiates the swing, I am saying it provides the drive of the hips forward.

See video.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZjwK_N0Wy0c" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just take it as good coaching advice. These guys, FFS and Canon have been around a long time and weathered truly blistering personal attacks, this isn't that.

Anyway, don't give up, stick around and share what you know too. :)

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

See video.

ST please stick around. FFS can be a little gruff and I can see how you took offense to his questions. But he is just very direct about his presentation of thoughts.

I will say, even the video you posted shows the top half of the leg leading the swing. It is what is driving the hips forward. She has just chosen to keep her back foot down. She is bleeding some power by doing this.

Again I hope you stick around. We all learn by discussion here.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
ST, first, I have done this a very long time. I talk hitting every day and with some of the best in the nation in both baseball and softball. IMO, there is only the swing. If I, and others like FFS are correct, then there is one goal and that is to teach hitting that gives our players the best chance to excel. ST, please don't take this as an insult but a gentleman named Paul Nyman once said, "you are only capable of seeing what you are capable of seeing. Let me give you an example and then I will come back to this statement. In 1988, I was asked to help start the baseball program of the former Soviet Union. I coached in both Kaunas, Lithuania and Olympic Village in Moscow, Russia. Back then I was, "the cat's meow" as I coach much of Charlie Lau's stuff. I had his book, The Art of Hitting .300 and I was sold on everything in that book. Since then, I've studied Epstein, Hudgens, Nyman, Englishbey, Mankin, and had a private message or two with Yeager. In that time, my eyes were really opened up to all of the stuff I thought I saw and what I was really seeing.

Ok, back to the post you made. Take another look at Lauren Chamberlain's video you posted. Did you notice that on that back side, Lauren is really resisting a pivot? Notice that her back knee moves inward without a pivot of the back foot? Did you notice that she starts to rotate onto the side of that back foot and didn't spin? ST, imo, if you take a look at that and think along those terms, you might see other stuff in the swing that you might not have noticed before with regards to hip action and even upper body action. Another video you posted was Geri Ann Glasco. Believe me, I know exactly the drills and hitting philosophy Geri Ann grew up with. She has been taught to copy the best in both baseball and softball.

ST, if I might, google Donny Buster Hitting Presentation. It should come up as a PDF I believe. Anyway, it is a good read and will help give you an idea where FFS, myself and others are coming from.

Finally, ST, my daughter grew up on these various websites as people viewed her video. Back in the day, I was often told that she had a baseball swing. Thank goodness she did. She had a great career. Please don't get caught up in the myth that there are differences in the swing.

Edited to add:

ST, my avatar is my daughter and her name is on it. You can google her name if you'd like. I don't know how much video is out there of her that would show up now but there are a lot of pictures.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06