Drills to improve hitting sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
ST - An important light-bulb moment for me was realizing that what happens to the rear foot is a reaction to what is happening above the knee. The rear foot gets rotated/pulled, it doesn't actively drive/initiate rotation. Understanding this concept changed the way I saw the action of the rear leg and hip.

ST please stick around. FFS can be a little gruff and I can see how you took offense to his questions. But he is just very direct about his presentation of thoughts.

I will say, even the video you posted shows the top half of the leg leading the swing. It is what is driving the hips forward. She has just chosen to keep her back foot down. She is bleeding some power by doing this.

Again I hope you stick around. We all learn by discussion here.

No worries at all. I am not going anywhere :) Thank you though for the message and I know I will definitely be learning here. It's a great place for good in depth discussions.

Last edited:
You won't find many people here, if any, that think a good fastpitch swing is different than a good baseball swing. Myself included.
Around the hitting sites, you'll hear references to connection and overlap.

Just take it as good coaching advice. These guys, FFS and Canon have been around a long time and weathered truly blistering personal attacks, this isn't that.

Anyway, don't give up, stick around and share what you know too. :)

Thank you. I have no intention of leaving. This is a great forum for discussion from what I can see and look forward to learning from others and sharing what I can. Cheers :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
ST - An important light-bulb moment for me was realizing that what happens to the rear foot is a reaction to what is happening above the knee. The rear foot gets rotated/pulled, it doesn't actively drive/initiate rotation. Understanding this concept changed the way I saw the action of the rear leg and hip.

Absolutely. And getting back to the first couple posts in the thread, in my daughters swings, rear foot action was not something anyone coached into them. I think it came from walk throughs, tip and rip and hitting machine balls in the right environment. I think natural athleticism figures in too, as long as no well meaning coach gets in the way of it.

In the last year, two of dd’s coaches pointed out that her back foot was “completely off the ground” in a photo taken just after contact. My explanation to both was almost word for word what Eric F. said. The hs coach said “oh ok, just so you know, as well as she hits I’m not going to change her” and her other coach said “hell yes, I wish every one of my players used their lower half like that”. One coach “gets it”. I have since seen him successfully coach kids on it and get immediate results. The other not so much. I’m still working on him, lol.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Absolutely. And getting back to the first couple posts in the thread, in my daughters swings, rear foot action was not something anyone coached into them. I think it came from walk throughs, tip and rip and hitting machine balls in the right environment. I think natural athleticism figures in too, as long as no well meaning coach gets in the way of it.

In the last year, two of dd’s coaches pointed out that her back foot was “completely off the ground” in a photo taken just after contact. My explanation to both was almost word for word what Eric F. said. The hs coach said “oh ok, just so you know, as well as she hits I’m not going to change her” and her other coach said “hell yes, I wish every one of my players used their lower half like that”. One coach “gets it”. I have since seen him successfully coach kids on it and get immediate results. The other not so much. I’m still working on him, lol.

Back foot is a non-teach imo. My DD rolls over on hers and her coach keeps pointing it out to her. He mentioned it to me a week or so ago and asked me me if I am getting on her about it. I told him no, because if she fixes the other issues she has (levels too early and then lowers herself too much among other things) the back foot action should take of itself.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You should try to keep the back foot planted for as long as possible. It comes up early, but the swing thought should be to keep it planted.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I saw one of Chris's videos recently and was wondering if he was a member of one of the hitting boards (I am not a HI member and don't venture to BBD much) as it's clear he's picked up on turning the barrel.

A lot of these people keep an eye on the hitting boards. All you have to do is watch twitter. It doesn't take long for the discussions on these sites to become the discussion on twitter as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi