Drills for release/control

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
14 year old grand daughter resuming pitching since last August// We are having late release issues, and lefty on release ball going to the pitchers left and catchers right looking at catcher at 43 feet.

When i shorten her up, still maintain full speed she is a lot more accurate. It isn't lack of strength, strong gal.

We work on knee drill to catcher, 3 step walk thru , long toss, rapid fire, creating 12/6 circle with whip.

We have onlt had a few sessions, and wondering if we should be concentrating on something i am missing to capture the consistent release, other than we haven't had a lot of time yet

I try to keep her strong side front, half hitch warm up 45 degree foot on line, , we go good for awhile and then it unravels.

We break these all up into 10- 15 minute units, and stop and pause if the circle or release goes away.

Is it just a lot more pitching to create focus.

She was one of two pitchers that won their travel league last year- 3-4 innings per game rotation as per league

We are indoors on gym floor without mat or rubber so far, i bought a mat today.

Suggestions of drills?

thanks

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Control is a big picture timing issue. Chances are the problem is not in her release, but flaw(s) in the overall mechanics chain. I would backward chain her for a few weeks using BM's I/R drills and Java's 2-Step and Pushback drills. That should help her a lot.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18135-drive-mechanics-15.html#post280717
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18135-drive-mechanics-15.html#post280928
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/10321-i-r-classroom.html

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I have a mental block on the backward chain, sorry, and i'm sure you are right timing is apparent. Looking at the 2 gals and the man demonstrating, on the links you gave, i was under the understanding your front shoulder , was to stay in line with home plate to throw against it not fly open. i see all 3 of those opening? clarity on that?

if you are talking about to a fence? backward chain

Jul 4, 2012
For my DD long toss negatively affects her release. She abandons brush because she is forced to change her release point to get the ball a longer distance. She only does walk-thrus from roughly 50' and in now. Could this be the problem with her missing her release point?

Dec 4, 2013
I have a mental block on the backward chain, sorry, and i'm sure you are right timing is apparent. Looking at the 2 gals and the man demonstrating, on the links you gave, i was under the understanding your front shoulder , was to stay in line with home plate to throw against it not fly open. i see all 3 of those opening? clarity on that?

if you are talking about to a fence? backward chain

He just means do Boardmembers IR drills. Backward chaining means start from the release and work your way to full circle. Start with lock it in, progress to unlock it, liberty, 12oclock, relaxed full circles...

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I understand replies some what/ backward , i still gotta dwell on it more.

Now another issue, i am having problem with the terminology of shoulders open or closed,
So either lefty or righty as you start your your push and reaching to 12 for the circle you are starting I/R and you are facing one of the foul lines , so when the whip is started your front shoulder i thought was to be in line towards home so when you land with front side resistance you are throwing thru with shoulder in line to home. In those 3 videos the shoulder then OPENS or is it CLOSING, i'm not sure if i have understood that. If it works the same way it used to be taught as the HIP CLOSED THE DOOR facing home and no whip, then this situation would be the same, if your shoulder turns are you OPENING OR CLOSING? I have been trying to get the GD straight on release, according to these videos, that is wrong.?

Please put it in midwestern terms not in something i don't comprehend:)
tks

i played this crazy game for years as a ss, never was a pitching coach, although they made me pitch, , just giving back

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi