BAD Pitching Drills???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 17, 2017
So, we have Pitchers Workouts with out Travel team and they do a lot of "9 Ball" type rapid drills.

I'm no expert but, from what I saw, I think that drill is a mess and ruins Form.

With 12-13 year old girls still approaching the intermediate stage of learning pitching and their bodies I believe I saw a lot of BAD mechanics, girls hitting their side and losing form and gaining IMO very little pitching wise.

Of course I'm going to hear the Ole "Oh we been doing 9 Ball for 30 years" stuff - I'd hope and think we're past that and there are so many better drills

It's also my belief that Working on Pitching should be separated from your Physical drills to some extent.

Thoughts?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
One prood parent moment was DD really really wanted to make Team. This is her story not mine, I was not there.

All the Ps are on their knees warming up, DD is the only one that was on her feet. Her friend told her to follow the flow, coaches bless their hearts didn't care.

DD used weighted balls a couple times. If PC asked her to use them fine. They were DD''S PC because we trusted them. Some random coach, no way. She will not touch them.

Oct 4, 2018
I questioned wrist-flips and T's from early on. It seemed to me not really good form or good way to warm up.

I like for any drills to have a purpose. Every now and then our pitching coach does some quick-succession stuff (rapid fire) but it's never about location, just about engaging muscles and feeling certain movements.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, we have Pitchers Workouts with out Travel team and they do a lot of "9 Ball" type rapid drills.

I'm no expert but, from what I saw, I think that drill is a mess and ruins Form.

Sounds like poor pitching instruction, not a poor drill. All drills have limitations. It is up to the instructor to know when the drill isn't helping.

The purpose of the drill is to get "flow"--get the pitcher to relax and throw the ball without thinking.

Some pitchers get caught up too much in thinking about hand position, arm position, leg position, etc. during the pitch. If she is doing a rapid succession of pitches, she has to "let go" and allow her body and her muscle memory take over.

It is also a good way to see what problems the pitcher has.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Not a fan of anything rapid fire or any drill that allows for mechanical breakdown in form.

I’m no fitness guy, but I think there are much better ways to work on strength and conditioning…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00