drill or advice for correcting making contact too far out in front of the plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Too soon

Practice hitting to right field every practice. This is a drill. From front toss make her hit line drives to right field even on pitches that might be inside. It's an inside out swing. She might hate it but it works miracles. If she's seeing a slower pitcher or is early even on faster pitchers, having the mindset to hit oppo might be the fix.

Dec 19, 2012
DD is a strong hitter and has been working hard on hitting for over a year. She has come so far. BUT every now and then her hits are wonky. If I video her and slow it down I can see that she sometimes is either swinging early or too fast and is therefore actually making contact with the ball like a foot or so in front of the plate, almost at the beginning of arm extension. She's seen the video, and understands what she is doing and how she loses power when this happens as well as sometimes fouls it off, but HOW do we fix it? are there specific T drills we can focus on? Her mechanics are good otherwise, it's just this one thing

thanks

She's hitting "around" the ball. She needs to focus on hitting the inside half of the ball. Tee work, bouncing ball, etc., but she needs to focus on hitting the inside half of the ball. You can't hit the inside half of the ball if you're making contact at extension.

Oct 16, 2014
As you can see, folks are making various guesses .... some, or none, may apply. Video would help narrow down the issue.

Since I use my phone I delete the Video after we look at them. I'll try to get one next time we practice live toss . In the mean time I'll try some of the stuff suggested here at home and see if anything clicks

thanks again

Oct 16, 2014
Not trying to be a jerk, but just because she has worked with a hitting coach since September, that is hardly a blip on the screen.

LAST September… almost a year and a half... :) I know that may be a blip. I've seen her come so far and she's pretty much just struggling with this right now. We will keep working but we want to tackle this as it's bugging her. We know the issue, just looking for things to do at home to reinforce since we on't see the hitting coach 1X a week

thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG