DP/Flex ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Got the basics down, now trying to increase my knowledge to best use the DP/Flex;

DP = Good hitter very slow runner
FLEX = Good speed and defense, not so good hitter
Sub = Good hitter very very slow runner

So with the above, if the DP gets on base in the 2nd, I replace her with the Flex to run. After the inning I re-enter the DP.

DP gets on base in the 5th, I put the flex in again to run (so the DP is out of the game)

Can I sub for the DP in the 7th? And if I can, can I again use the flex to run again?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Got the basics down, now trying to increase my knowledge to best use the DP/Flex;

DP = Good hitter very slow runner
FLEX = Good speed and defense, not so good hitter
Sub = Good hitter very very slow runner

So with the above, if the DP gets on base in the 2nd, I replace her with the Flex to run.

Okay, DP has left the game

After the inning I re-enter the DP.

Yes, you did, the DP just used the one allowabe re-entry

DP gets on base in the 5th, I put the flex in again to run (so the DP is out of the game)

Yeppers.

Can I sub for the DP in the 7th?

Yes

And if I can, can I again use the flex to run again?

Why would you think you cannot?

Jun 22, 2008
When you remove the DP from the game, the flex is no longer in play, so the flex would become an available sub.

Huh? When you remove the DP from the game, the flex moves into that batting position. How could they become an available sub?

May 30, 2011
When you remove the DP from the game, the flex is no longer in play, so the flex would become an available sub.

In the OP, the flex came in to run for the DP. Then the DP came back in. Then the flex came in to run for the DP again.

Each time the flex comes into run for the DP, the DP completely leaves the game. The second time she leave the game, she cannot come back.

Meanwhile, the flex has never left the game at all because she has been in on defense the entire time. A sub could come in for the flex who is also in the game as a sub for the DP. If this sub is going to just play offense, she is now the DP and the flex goes back to only being on defense and has still never left the game even once. If this sub is going to play both offense and defense and the flex is going to sit on defense, then the team is dropping back to 9 players and the flex is (finally) out of the game one time. The flex could return and the team could go back to 10 players if the flex was going to just play defense and one of the nine batters was going to sit on defense.

The flex can never be an available sub for anyone except the DP or the DPs sub, she cannot occupy any spot on the lineup except that of the DP, or the tenth non-batting position when she is only playing defense.

Jun 22, 2008
FED, ASA and NCAA are all the same on the dp/flex. USSSA allows additional what they refer to as EP's. They allow 11 to bat and 12 in the lineup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00