DP / Flex Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
The starting pitcher most certainly can be the DP (yes, it's an offensive designation as we all know the can play any defensive position) and I was simply using it as an example that the dp remains the dp regardless of where you move them on defense.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Comp, What I was saying is that the DP is an offense-only position, she may indeed HIT for the starting pitcher, but the starting P would be the FLEX and would NOT hit. Hence, the DP, technically, is NOT the P. The DP{ can be inserted into the defense for any player OTHER THAN the FLEX with no change to the line-up. If the DP enters defensively for the FLEX then the FLEX has been removed from the game, the line-up reverts to 9 players and trhe FLEX retains re-entry rights at which time the line-up would return to 10 players.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
As to the DP being the starting P: Presume you are the visitingteam. Your line-up card is this:

Able 1B
Baker RF
Carson LF
Davis DP
Edwards 2B
Franks CF
Green SS
Harris C
Ingles 3B

Jones P

Top of first inning, you go down 1-2-3.

The DP CANNOT appear as the starting P, (P as listed on the card MUST face 1 batter). After that, yes you could put the DP in the circle, either by removing the FLEX and reverting to a 9-player line-up OR moving Jones to another position (Able for instance, Able would continue to hit in the 1 hole and Jones would still not bat) and Davis pitching and still hitting in the 4 hole.

Jun 22, 2008
It's nothing but symantecs, technically no, you cannot list the dp as the starting pitcher but guess what, all the coach has to do is hand the umpire the lineup card with the dp listed as simply the dp. As soon as the lineup has been accepted all he has to do is say, my dp is going to be the pitcher. So you tell me is a player listed as the pitcher that never threw the first pitch the starting pitcher or is the girl that actually threw the first pitch of the game the starting pitcher? It's simply a matter of words.

I am well aware of how the dp/flex works and all the variables involved in it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
There is 1 scenario where the player listed as the DP COULD be the starting P if you want to create a space in the lineup for relief pitchers who do not hit, while allowing the starting pitcher to also play offense.
a. Matchup: Pair up your starting pitcher (DP) with a player you don’t intend to play or with the name of your relief pitcher (FLEX).
b. Typical sequence: At the pregame meeting, as soon as the lineups are accepted, enter your DP to pitch. You now have nine players who all are playing both offense and defense and the FLEX has left the game. As the game progresses and relief pitching is needed, enter the relief pitcher for the FLEX (or re-enter her if she was listed as the starting FLEX player) and allow the starting pitcher to continue hitting and running in the DP spot in the batting order. Note: Either the DP can run following her hits or FLEX can run the bases.

Oct 24, 2020
In essence you have 10 defensive positions, one of them is a bucket just outside the dug out (not physically, but it makes it easier to understand this part of the DP /Flex rule). You can switch any defensive positions without removing anyone from the line-up, You can switch SS and RF, 1B and 3B, or P and Bucket. Just report it to the umpire and you are good to go. The one exception to this is if you put the DP on defense and have the Flex NOT on the field (in other words the DP is subbed for the FLEX on defense) In this case the FLEX has been removed from the game and you revert to a 9-player line-up. However, the Flex (or any sub) has Entry/re-entry rights and you can go back to the 10-player line-up later in the game.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1