DP Flex and base running

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I wish they would all go with the NSA Twin rule, but that's another matter.

To make sure I have this, If I have the Flex run for DP the second time the DP is then out of the game and can not even play defense?

But the Flex has never left the game so if I were to put a sub in for the DP after flex ran the second time the flex could run for that player too.

If I don't put a sub in, the flex assumes the DP's spot in the lineup?

Jun 22, 2008
I wish they would all go with the NSA Twin rule, but that's another matter.

To make sure I have this, If I have the Flex run for DP the second time the DP is then out of the game and can not even play defense?

But the Flex has never left the game so if I were to put a sub in for the DP after flex ran the second time the flex could run for that player too.

If I don't put a sub in, the flex assumes the DP's spot in the lineup?

Once you have announced you are using the DP/Flex option at the start of the game, you can switch back and forth between a lineup of 9 or 10 players as many times as you want as long as you have legal substitutes. If you run for the original DP the second time, yes, that particular player you had in the DP spot is done for the game and can no longer play. Yes, you can put any available legal substitute into the position which was held by the original DP and the flex returns to being strictly a defensive player in the 10 lineup spot. Yes the flex can run for the new DP, but once again the DP has left the game and must use a reentry to come back into the lineup. If you dont put in a sub for the dp, you have dropped the lineup to 9 and yes the flex would continue to bat in the spot which was occupied by the dp. She doesnt really assume it, you put her there when you pinch ran for her.