Immediately Removing The Flex

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
This is also a very good way to "protect" a stud pitcher that is a very good hitter but either can't play a lick of defense or you don't want to take a chance of her hurting herself playing defense.

Place her in the DP role then have her play defense for the flex like Comp said above. Then if you do have to relieve her, she slides back to DP and you keep her bat in the lineup without having to find a spot on defense.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Following up on this as I read through the NFHS DP/Flex Strategies. This appears to be the #3 one on the list here: https://www.nfhs.org/media/881553/dp-flex-strategies.pdf

My question, from purely a record keeping/scoring standpoint: If the starting FLEX never takes the field, does she still get credited with a game played? I'm guessing yes since she was in the original starting lineup.

Edit: Just thought of this regarding that part of the 3rd strategy where you list "a player you don’t intend to play" in the Flex spot. Is there any rule that says the player I list has to actually be at the game in uniform? What would stop me from just listing one of my JV players that's practicing back at the school or sitting at home on her couch in this spot? That way I can utilize the strategy without actually using a player I have at the game that day.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
My question, from purely a record keeping/scoring standpoint: If the starting FLEX never takes the field, does she still get credited with a game played? I'm guessing yes since she was in the original starting lineup.
Don’t think so.

Dd’s college coach does this a lot. The player she uses does not show up in games started stats online. She gets subbed out at the plate meeting.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Don’t think so.

Dd’s college coach does this a lot. The player she uses does not show up in games started stats online. She gets subbed out at the plate meeting.

Interesting. I know in MLB scoring, a pinch hitter who is immediately replaced by a different pinch hitter (opponent switches pitchers for L/R matchup) does get credit for a game played just because they were announced as in the lineup.

Any thoughts on the second part of my post? Anything that says that player has to actually be at the game/in uniform?

Dec 11, 2010
I don’t have a guess on that one!

Edited to add... I don’t know how well you can sell a blank look with a “Blue, I swear she was right there a second ago!”

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
Interesting. I know in MLB scoring, a pinch hitter who is immediately replaced by a different pinch hitter (opponent switches pitchers for L/R matchup) does get credit for a game played just because they were announced as in the lineup.

Any thoughts on the second part of my post? Anything that says that player has to actually be at the game/in uniform?

To your first question I would be interested in seeing if GC would automatically give them a "game started" if you started scoring with them at flex and then removed them. I know I've had instances where the coach has told me that the lineup was staying the same and then sent a different pitcher to the circle after I started scoring in GC. The incorrect pitcher gets credit for starting the game even if she doesn't throw a pitch. Or at least it used to be that way in GC. It was a real pain in the butt.

On you second question. I'm not sure they would ever know or care to know. The only people who would see it would be the umpire, opposing coaches, and both scorekeepers. Unless one of them questioned it, no one would have any idea. And even then, what would be the punishment?

Jun 22, 2008
Nothing in the rules says a player must be present to be listed on the lineup card. The only players that must physically be there are the ones that will currently be involved in the game.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802