Don't be that parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
So do not yell something out to her during the game? You are stepping to far left of the powerline!

I can't tell from your comment if you are joking or serious... but yelling to your pitcher DD instruction during a game from outside the dugout is certainly something I wouldn't want to see from a prospective student athlete's parents.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I think its funny how many people responded on here without realizing that they sound like "that parent".

If you don't trust the coach, then leave the team.

If you are the best pitching coach, then ask to be in the dugout. After all if you are that good of a PC then you are doing your daughter and the other pitchers a disservice by not being in the dugout.

Any other explanation(99% of the time) is just an excuse so that a parent can have control.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I'm sure it doesn't happen much, if at all, in college ball. That is, unless the pitcher's real pitching coach is also the college team's pitching coach.

I assume that one of the college coaches on staff is designated as the "pitching coach" and works with the pitchers - and that they will be in the dugout every game and are considered the "real" pitching coach. I can promise you that my DD is not going to drive 9 hours each way for weekly pitching lessons once she is in college. The HC where my DD is verballed is a former pitcher and is the pitching coach.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think its funny how many people responded on here without realizing that they sound like "that parent".

If you don't trust the coach, then leave the team.

If you are the best pitching coach, then ask to be in the dugout. After all if you are that good of a PC then you are doing your daughter and the other pitchers a disservice by not being in the dugout.

Any other explanation(99% of the time) is just an excuse so that a parent can have control.

I AM "that parent" and I know it....because I realize that 98.2% of TB and HS coaches are NOT qualified pitching instructors and have no clue when it comes to pitching mechanics. Good coaches recognize they are not qualified pitching coaches and ask for help. Some are bull headed and think because they can sit on a bucket and call pitches that they are qualified. I would also like to point out that not all pitchers are exactly the same, so a "one size fits all" coaching philosophy will not work well. My DD went to 4 or 5 different pitching coaches before we found the right "fit". Does that mean the other pitching coaches were bad? No, it just means that it was not a "fit".

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This notion of "fit" is important. If a pitcher uses pitching mechanics that seem to be in harmony with the intersection of Pauly, Hillhouse, Boardmember, Java, and the like, and she wants to continue down that mechanics path, then she'd better steer clear of those pitching coaches, in college or not, that see those mechanics as weird/wrong. Case in hand.... One of my players (a pitcher) went to a showcase earlier this summer. One of the first things the coaches had all the pitchers do was start with the wrist-flips and curling the arm up (HE).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2014
The main point that I was trying to make was that I don't think a player should be going to her parent during the game for instruction. I am just assuming for the case of this discussion that this player was doing just that. And I agree that coaches probably wouldn't dismiss a girl that fast. I still dare anyone to tell me were in any other sport you would see a player at this age group talking to their parents during the game.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
The main point that I was trying to make was that I don't think a player should be going to her parent during the game for instruction. I am just assuming for the case of this discussion that this player was doing just that. And I agree that coaches probably wouldn't dismiss a girl that fast. I still dare anyone to tell me were in any other sport you would see a player at this age group talking to their parents during the game.

In high school golf a parent would know mechanics about as well as a bucket dad. If a parent gave advice to a child during a match they would be disqualified.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

How many parents give their kids "words of advice or encouragement" when they are about to step into the batters box? How is telling your DD to "lay off the rise ball" any different than offering advice to a pitcher, other than one is done through the fence right before she hits, and one is done between innings. BTW - I now tell my DD "lay off the pitch that flattens out" and I get a lot of funny looks from other parents....

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In high school golf a parent would know mechanics about as well as a bucket dad. If a parent gave advice to a child during a match they would be disqualified.

Professional golfers have caddies that provide advice all the time....I imagine that high school golf does not allow it in an attempt to be fair to all participants.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877