Don't be that parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Like it or not, what the OP was sharing was an actual recruiting related story that parents should be aware of if that is their child's goal. It is good information to have, a good story to relate. If you would have different expectations for your DD's thinking process if she were the assistant after playing in a program and attending a college and enrolling in graduate school, then you might be better off if that program overlooks your DD. Otherwise, take heed to the info.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I guess this is one of those "Pick you battles" things. If it's excessive, then there's a battle. What's excessive is subjective.

Oct 18, 2009
Like it or not, what the OP was sharing was an actual recruiting related story that parents should be aware of if that is their child's goal. It is good information to have, a good story to relate. If you would have different expectations for your DD's thinking process if she were the assistant after playing in a program and attending a college and enrolling in graduate school, then you might be better off if that program overlooks your DD. Otherwise, take heed to the info.
Yes. While I can see how in some cases it might be needed, pitchers and their parents are typically prima donna's after all- (jk) in general I wouldn't recommend players try to talk to their parents regularly between innings at any age. Much less a showcase level event. College coaches don't want to see kids talking to their parents during games. They might overlook it a little if the kid is talented but if it's a borderline kid it might be enough to go with someone else who appears more independent.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most parents would be better off dropping their kids off at the park and then going home. That would be a good start.

That would make a great REC ball parent....I would love to know where my DD would be today if I relied on her coaches to teach her how to pitch during their time at the park.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I wonder how often college pitchers talk to their pitching coaches between innings...

I'm sure it doesn't happen much, if at all, in college ball. That is, unless the pitcher's real pitching coach is also the college team's pitching coach.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Again, parents are missing the point here. Let the control go. I know it is hard. I have been there. You want to help your DD. You've seen her throw that drop ball 10,000 times and hit your glove. You know how to fix it. Your DD would be better served with you taking notes that you can discuss about her pitching performance once you were at home(or videotaping her for later). It is okay for her to have an off day in the circle. It is just one game. So what if they lose because you didn't give her an adjustment to make.

This is your DD journey, not yours. Let her play the game. Let her coaches coach. Let her make mistakes. Be a loving parent on the car ride home, and talk corrections later in the evening or the next day.

What would you do if your DD was in debate and she was struggling? Would you stand up in the middle of the debate and walk up front to give her pointers while the other person was talking?

Exactly where would this control that needs to be let go in answering a question?

So if the coaches in the dugout are not able to answer the question, then god forbid she ask someone else who might be able to simply because they are family. That makes absolutely no sense at all. The question becomes taboo simply because who she asks?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
What would you do if your DD was in debate and she was struggling? Would you stand up in the middle of the debate and walk up front to give her pointers while the other person was talking?

Who said anything about a debate? That analogy is off point. Re read my post and you should be able to infer the answer to your question anyway. I'll make it simple for you. The answer is no. The same as it would be when I said I would only be reactive to DD seeking help. Nothing said about being proactive in any situation.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
but when is the right time to do this?

When the pitcher asks for help with something.

Never turn your back on a developing player trying to improve. The timing of that trying doesn't matter if it is in the backyard or between innings of a game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog