Don't be that parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2013
We have a team rule that once the game starts that players are not to have contact with anyone outside of the dugout for any reason. Period.

Do you kick her off the team before she even tries out for breaking your team rule that doesn't apply to her and she most likely knows nothing about? :)

May 17, 2012
I really don't care what other players do on other teams, doesn't bother me. It wouldn't prevent me from recruiting that kid if she had talent.

Maybe she wasn't feeling well or had an injury and the coach told her to go talk to her parents. This is one of the reason I don't criticize other coaches. I never assume I have more information than they do.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
How many players did you see during the WCWS wandering off into the stands to seek advice during a game? At some point, whether we like it or not, our DD's have to deal with situations on their own, whether its on a college SB team, in a final exam, at 2 AM at a bar, at work with a bad boss, etc. etc. IMO, the more you teach them and the sooner they learn to be independent and resolve situations themselves the better off they will be in the long run. And that is not contradictory to unconditionally supporting and loving them!

FWIW, I don't agree with some DD's college coach's hitting mechanics absolutes, but that's not my concern so long as the coach doesn't try to force them on ME!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
How many players did you see during the WCWS wandering off into the stands to seek advice during a game? At some point, whether we like it or not, our DD's have to deal with situations on their own, whether its on a college SB team, in a final exam, at 2 AM at a bar, at work with a bad boss, etc. etc. IMO, the more you teach them and the sooner they learn to be independent and resolve situations themselves the better off they will be in the long run. And that is not contradictory to unconditionally supporting and loving them!

FWIW, I don't agree with some DD's college coach's hitting mechanics absolutes, but that's not my concern so long as the coach doesn't try to force them on ME!

How many players at the WCWS are lacking for appropriate resources? Now contrast their situation with the average TB or HS player who is lucky to have a coach that can help them with anything. A player lacking resources in search of assistance much different than a coddled brat with a helicopter parent. Although their actions may appear similar the have nothing in common. Is not recognizing a problem and seeking out a solution far and away better than doing nothing and failing? When this becomes an issue it seems to be more about the delicate egos of coaches and/or the actions of overbearing parents rather than the actual behavior of the players.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
What if the player's pitching coach is Javasource, and he is in the stands? Would you, as a coach, let the pitcher discuss pitching issues during the game (i.e., let him come to the back of the dugout to chat with her)? If yes, what if it's Javasource's daughter that is pitching? What if you, as a coach, don't believe Javasource actually knows pitching better than you (i.e., you're a fool, but don't know it). Boy, lots of places for the line to be drawn in the sand on this issue.

For me, it just depends on who "THAT" parent is. Again, I can't remember a time when I approached the dugout to instruct DD or pitching student.

Oct 18, 2009
I guess we don't know what was being said in the OP to the parents between innings... but my pet peeve is when players yell for gatorade or do the "need a drink" signal during games. Then the parent runs right up with a fresh gatorade from their cooler. Of course I don't want them to be dehydrated but they should plan ahead and get it before game. I don't like parents looking like their kids personal assistants.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
How many players at the WCWS are lacking for appropriate resources? Now contrast their situation with the average TB or HS player who is lucky to have a coach that can help them with anything. A player lacking resources in search of assistance much different than a coddled brat with a helicopter parent. Although their actions may appear similar the have nothing in common. Is not recognizing a problem and seeking out a solution far and away better than doing nothing and failing? When this becomes an issue it seems to be more about the delicate egos of coaches and/or the actions of overbearing parents rather than the actual behavior of the players.

You've never seen girls flounder when they advance to that next level (whatever that level may be) and don't have daddy warming them up, visiting them on the mound during the game, talking to them between innings, calling pitches? Its not just pitchers, its just more obvious with them. Some never get a chance to develop the self confidence that they can do it without mom/dad/life-long pitching coach. As a college coach, I want to know that they've already made the transition as I don't want to have to worry about whether or not a player will be able to take direction from someone other than dad et al or perform without their long-time safety blanket.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You've never seen girls flounder when they advance to that next level (whatever that level may be) and don't have daddy warming them up, visiting them on the mound during the game, talking to them between innings, calling pitches? Its not just pitchers, its just more obvious with them. Some never get a chance to develop the self confidence that they can do it without mom/dad/life-long pitching coach. As a college coach, I want to know that they've already made the transition as I don't want to have to worry about whether or not a player will be able to take direction from someone other than dad et al or perform without their long-time safety blanket.

Again you have to look at the context. An interaction between a player and someone outside of the dugout is not in and of itself a problem. That is the issue with the OP, there was zero context and failing that it appears to many to have been a knee jerk reaction. Any message regarding player behavior was lost in the ambiguity. Interactions between a player and someone outside the dugout is not an all or nothing, one size fits all proposition. It may or may not be a problem. That is where the coaching staff and the players need to have a meeting of the minds and clear expectations. As to team management, do not get me started on brain dead zero tolerance policies.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
"I am not interested because she was out of the dugout talking to her parents between innings".

No one will ever know if she was seeking advice.
Doesn't sound like she was "floundering".
No one knows if her team had a rule of no leaving dugout.
No one knows that she would have a problem following the rules if givin a rule of no leaving the dugout.
No one knows what the girl and her parents were discussing...maybe a family emergency that she suffered through to help the team? Maybe after game ice cream. Maybe nothing.
We do know she won't have a chance with one school because another young lady made assumptions....oh well, if she is that good, then no problem, there will be plenty of others.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Had a college teammate who called her dad after every game to talk about every. single. pitch. Really, she had an incredible memory ("remember that one time 2 years ago when I threw #7 a curve in the 3rd inning? She fouled it off but do you remember how hard she hit it? I think we should bust her in this year.") Only time the phone call with her dad bothered me was when I was her roommate.

Yes I do think if you leave the dugout after every inning of every game to talk to your dad that excessive but like everyone here has pointed out it was only (probably less than) one game and could have been for be any reason.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs