Does Your Team Have a Boombox? If Not, Why? Favorite Tunes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
Music during pre-game is something a lot of teams utilize to get their girls and fan base energized, but some teams absolutely don't believe in it. What does your team do, and if you have one, what are some of your favorite ballpark tunes?

Oct 10, 2011
Our team uses one during practices but not at games. This particular team does not seem to need anything to get them going no matter how early the game. At practices, they usually listen to some sort of hip hop music, and one girl complains that they should play country. Now her former travel team used one before games and it didn't work. We could have lit fire crackers under them and they wouldn't get moving.

3sDad

Around here the younger teams have them...10U, a few 12U...a couple 14Us...But once you get to the exposure / Nationals levels...I have seen one ...In 2 years...I can think of one...and it was used by an obnoxious 14U bunch...who always got skull drug...Boom boxes, like I said are more for the young girls...
Coaches will quickly tire of hauling it, playing it, being careful what music they're playing...(watch for EXPLICIT on the CDs) taking care of it, and always being the one who puts it back in the trailer by themselves after everyone disappears...Got a buddy of mine, a 12U coach who wants to sell his for dang near nothing just to have room in his garage again...

Oct 7, 2009
I can't stand the teams that turn them up to obnoxious levels and play the most obnoxious music (which by the way seems more and more prevalent the older I get).

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I've always hated the teams that blare the boom box, until now... One of the Dads on DD's team has one that he hooks to his ipod and uses it very well, mostly between innings. He spends a lot of time choosing music that the girls and parents like (Take me out to the Ball Game by Trace Adkins is a favorite of all). So, I have changed my mind about boom boxes... If it is used respectfully and tastefully I have no problem with it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I broke ours :(. We only played it at practice and at our team tents at tournaments. We never played it loud, or going into games.

Their lastest pump up tune was "Sail" by Awolnation

If you listened in our shade tent my team mix is about as wide a mix as it gets. From Hank jr. to Phil Collins to Motley Crue to Pitbull.

Warning: Girls stomping, chanting, and smacking bats into their hands while pumping "Sail" may lead to a high number of opposing forfeits. (I always thought it would be fun to get a few of the girls chompin on smoked turkey legs while dancing to it.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
OK so keep in mind that I am a grumpy old man. CAN'T STAND THEM but thank goodness only a few teams have ever done it in our area. If you need to draw attention to yourself, you'd better be able to back it up. If you need this to "get your team up," you'd better find a different team for your child if they intend on advancing further later in age. As stated, I have never seen a boom box at any national tournament we attended. I rarely saw one at state tournaments. Ironically, the one we did see at state was from a team that should have been playing at a lower level. They didn't last long. JMHO!

Side comment, my daughter had to think long and hard about a "walk up song" for college. I bet she spent as much time thinking about that as she did studying for some of her tests. In the end, neither my wife nor I knew the song she picked.

Nov 29, 2009
Cannonball, you read/spoke my mind. I've ALWAYS hated them. Even during college warm-ups when my DD was playing I never liked it. On all the teams I've coached I've only had one kid ask and the answer was a very gentile.. NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!! :) I don't want to be trying to talk over "noise" if I have to say something to a player.

When my DD was young and playing a rec tournament had a team once who had one and would dance and sing before their games. They would invite the other teams to join them. They got upset because the DD's team didn't join them. The were busy with their warm-up routine. Our girls played well and beat them handily.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
No boom box. To me the real question is, why have one.

when it gets to the point that my dd needs a song blaring to pump her up for a game, thats when she needs to find a new game,

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have a boom box, but only use it occasionally at practices.....as we have grown/developed from a low B, to high B, to a low A team, we have found the number of teams using boom boxes drops at each 'step up'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut