Opening an indoor facility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Several have already said it ... but MULTI-PURPOSE. Don't let the facility set vacant if you don't have to.

Soccer, lacrosse, ultimate frisbee ... birthday party rentals ... meeting space for community groups during the day or businesses looking to hold an off-site meeting/event ... heck, contact senior citizen groups and offer morning coffee and safe, secure, weather-proof walking space in the mornings.

In addition to securing commitments from clients, you will need to secure commitments from other coaches. Reach out to other skill coaches in the area and ask them what needs they see and have. That is probably your best source of info right there. They have a vested interest and actual needs. Don't ask teams or team coaches (of course they will say yes, they have no investment).

And of course ... if you need a organizational development consultant ... :)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Throwing down the challenge right now, I’ll beat the breaks off of anyone here at cornhole! ;)
One of my daughter's teams had a group of parents who took their Cornhole very seriously. They brought their boards and bags to every hotel and would spend hours at night in the parking lot playing until their wives or hotel staff chased them inside. Honestly, it was some of the best times I had with any of their teams.

Was I any good? I held my own, but these guys were cutthroat.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
One of my daughter's teams had a group of parents who took their Cornhole very seriously. They brought their boards and bags to every hotel and would spend hours at night in the parking lot playing until their wives or hotel staff chased them inside. Honestly, it was some of the best times I had with any of their teams.

Was I any good? I held my own, but these guys were cutthroat.
My painter at work is that way, he’s extremely good! I’ve always been able to throw a baseball, softball, or a rock through a pie plate from any distance, so cornhole should be a piece of cake, right?

Man, it’s ALL about the helicopter sideways spin which I wouldn’t do, I threw it like a slow pitch softball pitch, and I was pretty good at it. But once I started / figured out the helicopter spin, game changer!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My painter at work is that way, he’s extremely good! I’ve always been able to throw a baseball, softball, or a rock through a pie plate from any distance, so cornhole should be a piece of cake, right?

Man, it’s ALL about the helicopter sideways spin which I wouldn’t do, I threw it like a slow pitch softball pitch, and I was pretty good at it. But once I started / figured out the helicopter spin, game changer!
Exactly! These guys had custom bags made up with the travel team logo. The boards had a hook with a string attached because, apparently, you need to be exactly 27' away or it's not official. Their bags even had two different sides designed for grip or slide.

My aim was always good too, but these guys would block, push, or sink straight in. They even brought protective mats so the bags wouldn't hit the asphalt from errant throws.

Apr 17, 2019
The space that I'm looking at is about 70ft x 90ft. I'm thinking that's room for an infield plus a weight training/warmup area and an entry/lobby.

Y'all got me thinking.... I don't want turf with infill, and want it to play like an infield. Looking for options.... What about putting green turf? Some removable plugs for holes? I don't have much experience from the golf side. Would it be too fragile and get destroyed by softball players? Or get torn up too much to be usable for golf? You guys got me thinking outside the box, lol. Thanks!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Regular old style Astroturf will get destroyed and pulled apart at the seams by other sports. My buddy's facility rented space to lacrosse and soccer teams for training, and within a few weeks all the seams pulled apart. Also depending on what's under the turf, presumably concrete, it will be hard as a rock.

I would go with the infill style. Also, that's better for hitting golf balls. Only the putting would be better with Astroturf.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Have a buddy that has a training facility. They do everything related to speed. Little kids to combine training. They have a lot of group training for all ages and athletic ability. They are tied in with local schools PE programs. They have cages in the back and do hitting lessons and pitching lessons. Basketball and football customers. Rent it out at least two nights a week to wrestling team. Also rent the cages out to baseball teams. They do hitting with softball but no pitching

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles