Does your TB player play other sports?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
and if so, do you mandate that softball ALWAYS comes first?

Just asking....We have a player that will be in basketball during winter, so there MAY be conflicts with practices..

May 7, 2008
Tucson
School sports always came first. DD was in softball, basketball, and band.

If it is club basketball, that is good, too.

College coaches look for multi sport girls.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
DD did track this spring. Coach was supportive of this and didn't make a big deal about missing practice when she had a meet in conflict. She was doing track practice and going straight to softball on the days there was no meet. She did an hour or so of pitching most nights after track when there wasn't a team practice. He wasn't too concerned about her not keeping fresh with her softball and the track workouts helped with her base speed.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD plays school sports; volleyball, basketball, softball and tb softball in the summer. She has had to drop soccer and track (her choice) because they both conflicted with softball.

The only things that we mandate is that if you start a sport, you finish the season and she must play a sport during summer (there will be no sitting around or hanging with friends getting in trouble).

So far softball is her favorite and is working to be seen by college coaches in that sport.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have several players that play club soccer, volleyball, and/or basketball. The one thing that I try and hold pretty firm on is the in-season sport. If a player misses practices during the Winter for Basketball... that's OK, but come Spring, softball is the priority.

It always amazes me that a Basketball Coach won't allow the girls to miss basketball practice for softball practice... but during Spring, it's ok to miss softball practice for summer basketball... hmmmmmm

Jan 15, 2009
My DD does HS swimming in the fall. Will pick up play on weekends, but not a regular player during that time. Other players on the team play volleyball and basketball or hockey. One kid is three sport athlete, HS Soccer, HS Hockey, and softball year round in the gaps. Same philosophy as Kevin, in season needs to be a commitment, off season accept conflicts but expect them to find time to continue to develop. Same frustration as Kevin as well that other coaches want their cake and eat it too.

Mar 15, 2010
DD is in MS and school sports take priority over TB during the fall and winter. Come spring and summer TB wins out. Fortunately DD plays lacrosse which is in the fall and Basketball which is in the winter so there is little conflict.

Mar 15, 2010
Is it me, or has Lacrosse taken off in the U.S. (especially in SoCal) the past couple of years? Someone told me it is the fastest growing youth sport right now?

Big sport in my area. 4 years ago the high school started a squad with 12 girls. Now they have over 30 girls on 2 teams and the middle school started their program this year. They play an 8 week season against other Middle Schools and also play 3- 4 tournaments during and after the season. 20 girls came out for the middle school team this year. My wife is ecstatic as she played Lacrosse for over 20 years and is largely responsible for starting the program at the high school.

Oct 21, 2009
Had a friend go to a D3 school for softball as a catcher. SOme of her friends told her to come to a Lacrosse practice. She quit softball for lacrosse the next week. "You mean I get to carry a stick and hit people. I like it!"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00