Does your kid know how to

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I guess I should have said A BA vs HER BA to get more to the point..I don't think my kid has ever actually known what her BA is.

My DD can calculate a BA if asked. And keeps track of hers throughout the year. But, she's not spending time figuring out different players BA's. That, I think, has died off with technology and ease of information access.

Jun 8, 2016
Yep, totally understood. I think it was much more prevalent when we were younger because we had baseball cards with stats on them and saw the stats posted in the newspaper. Now, kids don't really physically look at anything with stats on them. They may see it on TV of hear mention of it, but I don't think that they digest it as much as we did. My son's 10U team doesn't even do game changer, so they have no idea what they are hitting unless the coach tells them. Again, some do, but in general, I think most don't.
Agreed. I was big into baseball cards growing up..would go to card shows and everything. Despite my parent's best intentions (piano lessons..ugggh) it was baseball 24/7 for me in the summer...I wasn't the most well rounded kid growing up..

Jun 8, 2016
My DD can calculate a BA if asked. And keeps track of hers throughout the year. But, she's not spending time figuring out different players BA's. That, I think, has died off with technology and ease of information access.
I never actually asked DD but I don't think she would know the intricacies of it..At the end of the day I guess it doesn't really matter..lol.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
calculate her BA?

I was thinking about this the other day and I am pretty sure that after playing ball for 7 years my kid couldn’t do it and it made me sad 😂

Love the timing of this.

For most, if not all, of my players, the answer was not only no, but most of them had no idea what batting average even was.

I did a quickie stats explanation at our End of Season meeting last week when I was showing the season leaderboards. I've never shown the individual stats before. I decided that highlighting the best performances of the year was a good way to keep things positive (we ended on a pretty rough stretch of games; the positivity was needed). Very few of the girls knew what any of the abbreviations meant, and I had to explain rate stats in their entirety to them.

Edit: I remember being in a very young grade. I think Kindergarten, actually. I stayed after school one day so the teacher could teach me how to calculate batting average.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Is this a baseball vs softball thing as well? My DS doesn't play baseball, so I don't get to see if they pay any more attention to it compared to DD's teammates.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I guess I should have said A BA vs HER BA to get more to the point..I don't think my kid has ever actually known what her BA is.
Geez when I was a kid a BA meant something else.
🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Good post topic!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
A few years ago, my daughter would come home from her games and say she had three hits. I would correct her and say, "No, you had one hit and two outs." Her rationale was that any ball she put in play was a hit. After that, I taught her how to calculate her batting average, so now she's pretty in tune with her average. The older daughter couldn't care less. She cares about how many RBIs she has.

Jan 25, 2022
Anyone else sitting here wondering if they should attempt it themselves before asking the kid? Hahahaha.

:(

Kidding...I'm guessing my 16 year old will say it right away. My 14 year old tries to take the harder route. If I asked her how to do a mathematical average she would think of it reasonably quickly.

Jan 25, 2022
Batting average isn't really an average, though. I think that would confuse anyone who wasn't already familiar with the process. It's a probability.

For the record, I just asked my 16 year old and she knew how to do the average right away. My 14 year old (both play) isn't home, but big sister and I agreed that little sister would overcomplicate it and just start spitting answers in frustration while trying to exit the room by dancing like a clown or pretending to chase the cat, or just attempt to change the subject by saying something absurd.

They're both 4.0 students.

I was a 2.1 student.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13