Does your kid know how to

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
calculate her BA?

I was thinking about this the other day and I am pretty sure that after playing ball for 7 years my kid couldn’t do it and it made me sad 😂

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In 5th grade math we had a textbook supplement (like a workbook) called "Baseball Math", where we learned how to do ERA, BA, SLG etc. (though I imagine with all the "new" stats now it would be a much longer book today) . It was essentially long division and basic algebra. But as a 5th grade baseball playing nerd boy it was the coolest thing ever.

But to answer, I'll have to ask, no idea if she knows how.

Feb 24, 2022
Absolutely not. I'm just happy that at 12U she asks me if things like sacrifices, fielder's choices, errors, etc. "count against my average". In general, she only knows if she's hitting well or poorly. Any talk from her about her hitting (good or bad) centers around if she is helping or hurting the team (in her mind). At 12u, I'm totally fine with that.

Jun 8, 2016
Absolutely not. I'm just happy that at 12U she asks me if things like sacrifices, fielder's choices, errors, etc. "count against my average". In general, she only knows if she's hitting well or poorly. Any talk from her about her hitting (good or bad) centers around if she is helping or hurting the team (in her mind). At 12u, I'm totally fine with that.
Lol....I wasn't knocking anybody who's kid couldn't and I wasn't talking about it from a selfish (me first attitude) perspective. More from just a 2022 vs 1986 (when I was 12 YO) perspective and that I wouldn't be surprised if some college players nowadays don't know how to compute one of the most basic stats in the sport.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Yes, but only because we watch a lot of baseball and she is interested on what makes up certain stats. Some of them I can explain, others.....I have no idea.

She tracks her BA on Game Changer, but not sure how much work she puts into totaling it up for the year as she plays across travel and school teams.

Sep 19, 2018
ohhh, played strat too! I even has a program to determine OBP and Slugging on the card. 1987 Cal Daniels and Jack Clark (only against Righties) were scary good.

Feb 7, 2014
Yes, but only because we watch a lot of baseball and she is interested on what makes up certain stats. Some of them I can explain, others.....I have no idea.

Same here... DD1 & 2 have seen a lot of baseball. Just like brushing your teeth - one inning before bedtime.

Feb 14, 2019
calculate her BA?

I was thinking about this the other day and I am pretty sure that after playing ball for 7 years my kid couldn’t do it and it made me sad 😂
Nope, my DD (11U) would not know how to do that (heck, there's probably a lot of parents who couldn't either...). But, I will take full responsibility for that one since she's never had to do it herself. We have talked about how certain things are factored in to BA, OBP, etc., but as long as she can just look at GC and see her stats she'll never worry about hand calculating them.

Jun 8, 2016
I guess I should have said A BA vs HER BA to get more to the point..I don't think my kid has ever actually known what her BA is.

Feb 24, 2022
Lol....I wasn't knocking anybody who's kid couldn't and I wasn't talking about it from a selfish (me first attitude) perspective. More from just a 2022 vs 1986 (when I was 12 YO) perspective and that I wouldn't be surprised if some college players nowadays don't know how to compute one of the most basic stats in the sport.
Yep, totally understood. I think it was much more prevalent when we were younger because we had baseball cards with stats on them and saw the stats posted in the newspaper. Now, kids don't really physically look at anything with stats on them. They may see it on TV of hear mention of it, but I don't think that they digest it as much as we did. My son's 10U team doesn't even do game changer, so they have no idea what they are hitting unless the coach tells them. Again, some do, but in general, I think most don't.