Does your kid know how to

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Well, it looks like you were at least smart enough to marry a smart woman..;)
I think anything over 2.0 can find love successfully.

I slept half the day in high school...lol. 2.1 was probably a miracle. Strong epilepsy meds.

Sep 17, 2009
calculate her BA?

I was thinking about this the other day and I am pretty sure that after playing ball for 7 years my kid couldn’t do it and it made me sad 😂
The better/funnier question is once they know how to calculate it, do they know how to score-keep correctly, or do they turn all their errors and fielder's choices into hits like score-keeping parents do? 🤣

Jan 25, 2022
Mea culpa (I am good at putting my foot in my mouth..)

No mea culpa necessary. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I was at all sensitive about it. I got off those meds in my early 20's, thankfully. I tell people about it when they think I'm smart. It's always good for a laugh.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Batting average isn't really an average, though. I think that would confuse anyone who wasn't already familiar with the process. It's a probability.

It really should be called Hit Percentage.

Interestingly, but not necessarily helpful, is knowing that batting average comes from cricket, where it's calculated runs/outs. I don't understand cricket well enough to know if "batting average" makes more sense in that context, but it sure seems to just be a percentage there, too.

I'm willing to just blame the English for being weirdos on this one.

Jun 8, 2016
You guys are assuming that most people know what an average is and hence would mess them up..😂

May 16, 2016
Had similar discussion with my Pitcher DD. We were talking about ERA, and I asked if she knew how to calculate it... she said, Sure, you take Earned Runs and divide by Innings.... then you could see her doing the math in her head, and realize that didn't give her the right answer.... LOL

Oct 16, 2019
My daughter playing travel knows nothing about batting average. She judges her game simply by how often she gets to run the bases, score and knock her friends in. When she is doing that, she is having a blast and does not care about numbers. I am fine with that for her if she is happy. But me, I was totally the opposite. Sports nerd playing little league during the day and APBA Baseball board game at night, I could not get enough stats :)

Jun 11, 2013
I'm sure DD has an idea of how to calculate and certainly knows the difference between doubles and hitting a grounder to short that she overthrows but not sure she could calculate her BA. I'm really good at math so I would always keep a running tally when I played.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802