Does the title make you an expert

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
My DD just dreads any pitching portion of camps because of this exact thing. She doesn't mind me signing up for something, but she says can we just leave before the pitching portion?? it's so awkward to stand around doing wrist snaps and backwards K drills for 30 minutes then throw and have the coach come over and tell you if you'd just finish with your hand at your shoulder you'd be a super star.

We had the exact same problem this past weekend on our own team. Where the #3 coach who pitched PAC 10 BITD said my daughters biggest problem is the 9:00 drill that she has in her warm ups, her arm is too bent she needs to straighten it out and point the ball behind her to 2nd base. I seriously just stood there blinking like a deer in the headlights for the longest time thinking "here we go again, I can't seriously believe we are doing this again!!!" Handled it gently but you could tell I was being placed in the crazy pitching parent category who is holding their daughter back by teaching some crazy crap they picked up from some coach teaching some new fangled stuff :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
They will then tell you your daughter is awesome, looks great, we're interested and by the way... "don't forget our Xmas camp for $400!!".

The more I watch D1 pitching, the less I think I know about pitching. Many of the mechanics are horrible, they do not have correct spin for pitches and I keep asking myself, "This is D1?" then again, I don't have a Fastpitch Foundations certificate though. :)

The other thing is the pitch calling. While I wish girls would be taught how to call games, that's a losing battle and the calls will always come from the dugouts, especially now with those ultra cool wristbands. I always thought it was common knowledge that with a 1-2 run lead, a riseball is a NO-NO after the 5th inning. Yet in the WCWS, I saw countless. And many ended up being HR's. Sure, HR's can be hit on drop balls but not nearly as likely. But these all knowing coaches would still call these pitches and at the end of the day, when the pitcher gives up a longball, SHE is the one who looks bad instead of the poor pitch calling.

Bill

Bill, the bold made me laugh a little. When my dd was pitching, she was being recruited by this one coach as a pitcher (didn't happen for many schools) who kept asking whether BB was a "horizontal" or "vertical" pitcher. I said she tried to do both depending upon what the situation called for. I was told by this coach on more than one occasion that BB had to chose between the two. I guess if you are just one of those two, you might have to throw some pitches up. LOL Then again,what do I know. She didn't end up a pitcher in college so maybe her pitching coach (me) sucked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi