Does the pivot foot contribute much after push off?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2010
My dd has been taught to bring the leg up in a figure 4 to drive the big mussels together. If this is done correctly she should be driving her legs together at or around 45 degrees along with the plant foot.If they come together correctly there should not be a twist in the body. Right now the leg is up high but I'm certain it will come down a bit as time goes on. I don't think I would consider this a kick back if the legs were together from the knee up and there is no bend at the waist. We have Incorporated this as a way to her her tall and keep balanced and not walk through the pitch. She does this when she does walk throughs why should it change for a pitch.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My dd has been taught to bring the leg up in a figure 4 to drive the big mussels together. If this is done correctly she should be driving her legs together at or around 45 degrees along with the plant foot.If they come together correctly there should not be a twist in the body. Right now the leg is up high but I'm certain it will come down a bit as time goes on. I don't think I would consider this a kick back if the legs were together from the knee up and there is no bend at the waist. We have Incorporated this as a way to her her tall and keep balanced and not walk through the pitch. She does this when she does walk throughs why should it change for a pitch.

"I'm certain it will come down a bit as time goes on."

Yes it will. And I will tell you when it will happen; the first time she gets a line drive back at her chest and cannot move out of the way because all her weight is on one leg. You see it takes two feet touching the ground to QUICKLY move your torso out of the way. Don't believe me? Try this yourself; Stand by the side of your bed at around a 45 degree angle. Bring your back foot into a figure 4. Now, how fast can you get yourself onto the bed using only one foot to push yourself? Now do the same thing with BOTH feet touching the ground. You should see a major speed increase.

After push off, the stride foot contributes little to the pitch. However, dragging the stride foot toe keeps you balanced and on course. Keeping the stride foot in touch with the ground also gives you a stronger base for self-defense moves when needed.

I do not like the figure 4 finish for that reason.

Jan 27, 2010
The figure 4 is not my favorite finish,but it has its' benefits as Madsdad says it keeps his DD standing tall.I would have her step into a defensive position by dropping off to the side and get her feet under her as soon as the ball is released for the reason Skinner mentions.

Feb 5, 2010
Point well taken. The last thing we want is to take a hit. I ask to hold it now in drills and practices to be sure that it is coming through. I have thrown whiffle balls at her as suggested to get her to react and it does come down much faster when she is defending herself.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1