Does the batters box really mean anything?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
So sitting here watching the ESPN replay of Baylor and UCLA. I remember being appauled at the lack of the application of the rules on Baylor's slapper Kayce Walker. I'm sitting here seeing Walker getting away with the same rules-abuse.

Every time Walker plants to slap it's right in front of the plate, totally outside of the box. It's so blatant it has to be understood and part of Baylor's strategy.

Another "Joke" of the non application of the rules......

OK let's start to hear all the excuses why the poor umpires can't do anything about it......

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So sitting here watching the ESPN replay of Baylor and UCLA. I remember being appauled at the lack of the application of the rules on Baylor's slapper Kayce Walker. I'm sitting here seeing Walker getting away with the same rules-abuse.

Every time Walker plants to slap it's right in front of the plate, totally outside of the box. It's so blatant it has to be understood and part of Baylor's strategy.

Another "Joke" of the non application of the rules......

OK let's start to hear all the excuses why the poor umpires can't do anything about it......

I agree that it is a rule that should be called more often, but there are two things:

First, it isn't that easy for the umpire to stay with the pitch and watch the feet and insure it is on the ground completely outside of the box when contact is made with the ball.

Second, you would see the coaches going crazy and use the reason noted above as the excuse as to why they cannot call it.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas

As an umpire, I'm offended that your offended by the lack of offendeness by the rest of the world at this obvious atrocity that is being committed by softball umpires everywhere.

With that being said, you have changed my perception. I shall watch for a foot first, and a ball or a strike, and everything else, secondly. Let me know where your team plays so I can volunteer to umpire there and I fully promise you I will dedicate all game calling to watching this particular infraction first and foremost.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, as MTR mentions, an umpire is typically tracking the ball in and it is difficult to always see a foot fully outside the box. Does that make it right or acceptable? Nope. But, that is most likely the answer, and I realize it may not be a popular one, but there it is.

Dec 7, 2011
OK - I will back off to all you under-respected umps. Sorry if I went over the line.... (I umped though for some years too so I sorta knew that was coming)

Suggesting here though => smooth-out the area in front of the plate prior to each inning. Then you can see the indication of a strong foot plant out of the box. Just a suggestion......

<offering the peace-pipe to my umping brothers & sisters : I was just getting emotional on that one specifc Baylor violator>

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Suggesting here though => smooth-out the area in front of the plate prior to each inning. Then you can see the indication of a strong foot plant out of the box. Just a suggestion......

That doesn't indicate a violation, just the the batter, assuming it wasn't the catcher coming out from behind the plate, stepped in that area, which is not a rule violation.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
How about if we get one of the other umpires on the field to watch the batter's foot (particularly on lefty slappers)? We take all this time and effort to have an umpire watch the pitcher's feet to see if they get a paper's worth of air under their toe... why not take that guy and instead have him watch the batter's feet. Why do the pitchers get all the love? /EndSarcasticComment

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
First of all I did one season for a league in my mid 20's as an umpire. I'll never ever do that crap again. My hats off to you guys who stick it out.

Second, as a guess. Most umpires don't want to keep nit picking the game. ( wrong or right ) That's their money. If they make an a$$ of themselves you can probably request them not to call your games. File enough complaints that directors don't want the headache.

Example***

Last year during HS district playoffs. We had a plate umpire with a strike zone the size of a quarter. He was making us throw straight down the middle. ( was not doing that for opposing team who was from his county ) We lost that game. Coach made a call to TSSAA to request he not umpire the championship game the next night. We won that one. Umpire lost $200 for missing that game. ( that's what they get paid in playoffs )

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
First of all I did one season for a league in my mid 20's as an umpire. I'll never ever do that crap again. My hats off to you guys who stick it out.

Second, as a guess. Most umpires don't want to keep nit picking the game. ( wrong or right ) That's their money. If they make an a$$ of themselves you can probably request them not to call your games. File enough complaints that directors don't want the headache.

Example***

Last year during HS district playoffs. We had a plate umpire with a strike zone the size of a quarter. He was making us throw straight down the middle. ( was not doing that for opposing team who was from his county ) We lost that game. Coach made a call to TSSAA to request he not umpire the championship game the next night. We won that one. Umpire lost $200 for missing that game. ( that's what they get paid in playoffs )

$200 for umpiring 1 game? Or $100/game fee plus the $100 the other team gave him to fudge the zone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd