Does the batter get 1st base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 31, 2010
On an inside high pitch (over the inside of the plate and about shoulder high), batter gets scared turns body to face catcher & sticks her hand out in the path of the ball resulting in her hand being hit by the ball. Does the batter get the base or is it a ball?

May 6, 2012
Texas
She should not because it is the job of the batter to at least attempt to get out of the way. The hard part about this is the ump because its their call on whether there was an attempt or not.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If the pitch was a strike, she does not get 1st base. You can't stick your hand (or anything) out in front of a strike and get your base. It is a dead ball strike. If it is strike 3, she is out.

If the pitch was a ball, yes - she gets her base.

So, the umpire would have had to determine, whether the pitch was in the strike zone or not. If it was, no base. If it would have been a ball, yes. Take your base.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
On an inside high pitch (over the inside of the plate and about shoulder high), batter gets scared turns body to face catcher & sticks her hand out in the path of the ball resulting in her hand being hit by the ball. Does the batter get the base or is it a ball?

Was Quincy's DD pitching? ;)

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The other thing I would look for as the PU...was she sticking her hand out to get hit or was she sticking her hand out as a defensive reaction to keep the ball from hitting her? If it's the first, she ain't going anywhere.

Oct 31, 2010
The other thing I would look for as the PU...was she sticking her hand out to get hit or was she sticking her hand out as a defensive reaction to keep the ball from hitting her? If it's the first, she ain't going anywhere.

It was neither, she was scared and if her hand would have stayed in the batters box (or on her bat) the ball would not have touched her.

Lol Goingdeep nah, it was mine...after her game Sat & the input I got on my DD's pitching thread and some info on others with similar situations I had a tough practice session w/her and when she was in the circle last night she was FINALLY pitching the way she pitches to me (fast & explosive) during the scrimmage game. A few times I had to remind her to push off not step but overall she had a very good night. It was just our ride home discussion that brought up the question if the hit batter should have gotten the base or not, she didn't think so and I honestly wasn't sure.

May 14, 2010
She should not because it is the job of the batter to at least attempt to get out of the way. The hard part about this is the ump because its their call on whether there was an attempt or not.

What? You mean an extremely athletic batter has to actually try to get out of the way? Say it isn't so?

Our pitcher blew a release in a game a couple weeks ago. It bounced about 5 feet away from her and proceeded to roll towards the plate. It came to a stop laying against the batters foot about 5 seconds after it was released. Not sure the batter even felt it touch her. Batter was awarded 1B. I was stricken almost silent by that. Almost. And umpires wonder why we hate some of them...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish