Does run count on this fielders choice situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
Here's the situation. Runners on 2nd & 3rd with 2 outs. The batter hits a choppy ground ball into the hole. The SS fields the ball and makes quick throw to 3rd and the runner advancing from 2nd is tagged out which was the 3rd out.

The runner going home was crossing the plate about the same time as the tag out or even before the tag out , but the runner at 3rd was was called out before the batter made it to 1st. Does the runner that crossed home plate count as a run or not?

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Run counts if before out. Out wasn't a force out. Only force was at 1st, and technically, she is safe.

Nov 3, 2012
I wasnt sure if the runner at first had anything to do with it. The hard thing for the two umpires is to assess if the runner at home crossed the plate prior to the tag at 3rd. We had this situation in our game, and I dont think the home plate umpire was paying attention to which occurred first. I wasnt watching it either, but you would think it had to occur at a similar time if the runners left their bases at the same time. I guess the only way safe would be if runner on 3rd got a better jump and was faster to home than the runner on 2nd to 3rd. Someone mentioned about the tag, before the runner made it to first. Never heard that before either.

Nov 3, 2012
Actually was a good play on the SS. It would have been a tough play to go to her right and get a high bouncing ball, plant and throw to first. Maybe a mistake by the base runner on 2nd.

Jun 11, 2013
Probably bad baserunning by girl at 2nd, but a good learning experience for the runner on 3rd to run all the way in. I see it all the tim e with 2nd and 3rd a hit where batter tries for second and the runner on 2nd is jogging home.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The ruling referencing the batter making it to first base states that no run can score if the batter-runner is put out prior to reaching first base.

In the scenario offered the batter reaches first base because of the play at third. The batter-runner was not the player that was put out.
Even though she did not physically reach first base before the third out was made at third base, she is most likely scored as having reached first via a fielders choice.

If the runner from third crossed the plate before the tag at third, the run would count.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd