does IR produce a bullet spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Someone posted a cool visual for what the bullet spin is on an older post. You are more than likely seeing the rotation of the ball just coming in off center. More like a 11/5 spin or a 1/7 spin. A bullet spin would be sideways like a 9/3 spin. I hope this makes sense. It did in my head. I do not believe that if you are truly throwing using IR, you would get a bullet spin.

Sep 3, 2009
Here's what Boardmember showed me as the ideal ball rotation for a young pitcher using IR to tell that she isn't getting behind the ball too early and she isn't over-rotating, or something like that. When my daughter is throwing her best (accuracy and speed) that's about the rotation that I do see.
2wejddv.gif

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
For my young pitchers, (that are trying to add their own thing and get more movement) what I call a bullet spin, comes from twisting the hand like they are turning a door knob.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Here's what Boardmember showed me as the ideal ball rotation for a young pitcher using IR to tell that she isn't getting behind the ball too early and she isn't over-rotating, or something like that. When my daughter is throwing her best (accuracy and speed) that's about the rotation that I do see.
2wejddv.gif

This is the image I was looking for. Some people mistake this rotation for bullet spin.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm curious if the end result spin has any direct correlation to whether or not IR is used. If I understand it correctly, IR is, or should be used to some degree in almost every pitch--a change up being the exception. I believe there are methods of throwing a screwball and a rise that don't use pure IR, but ultimately, the hand should probably start the whip palm up. Am I on track?

Jul 14, 2008
Sometimes when DD is pitching the ball spins toward the catchers right. R handed pitcher. Can IR naturally produce a bullet spin?

The way you are describing it, the ball spining toward the catchers "right side".........That would be the outside corner........Which is not bullet spin........

The gear above shows the ball spinning toward the inside corner which is also NOT bullet spin..........

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
I'm curious if the end result spin has any direct correlation to whether or not IR is used. If I understand it correctly, IR is, or should be used to some degree in almost every pitch--a change up being the exception. I believe there are methods of throwing a screwball and a rise that don't use pure IR, but ultimately, the hand should probably start the whip palm up. Am I on track?

Backdoor change.....Circle change........Flip change..........Roll change, all use I/R as well.........Horseshoe change........Palm change.......Knuckle change, I/R is "turned off" so to speak............

And yes.........Palm up gives you the most mechanical advantage.......

Sarah Pauly's roll change with a high amount of I/R................

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks! What are the backdoor and roll change ups? Does the roll change work like a turnover drop without trying to spin the ball?

Jul 14, 2008
The roll change is accomplished by opening the hand fully by "lifting the fingers"........or creating dorsi-flexion in the wrist from 3:00 to release, and attempting to roll across the top of the ball.........This effectively "kills" the wrist and prevents velocity........You might call it a "flat spin" pitch where the ball is actually turning like a "helicopter blade" but counter clockwise toward the outside corner.........Creating a change that actually breaks toward the outside corner........Very effective........

A "backdoor change" would have you "inverting" your hand/wrist/forearm through release, and releasing the ball with the thumb "pushing" the ball toward the catcher.........Out the "back of your hand" so to speak............

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles