Does "enhancing" recruiting information really help?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2009
Why not use a video? It would be much easier to time a runner that way. Same for throwing. It should be easy to measure.

Bill

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Just like anything else in life. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Why lie about something that is so easily checked? I would hate to have to try and explain why my box to 1st time was 3 or 4 tenths slower.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I love the 'D1 Coach verified' claims. Like they are magically better at timing than anyone else.

One of the problems I see with 'time to first' is that there is no standard way of measuring it - and the ways I have seen it done are not game realistic anyway.

As a coach I want to see game fast.

Last edited:
I love the 'D1 Coach verified' claims. Like they are magically better at timing than anyone else.

Once of the problems I see with 'time to first' is that there is no standard way of measuring it - and the ways I have seen it done are not game realistic anyway.

As a coach I want to see game fast.

Completely agree with above statement ......only way to have a true way of timing home to first is from when ball hits bat til foot touches first....

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Agree. I was talking about standardization of pitching speeds in another thread the other day. Too many variables to compare apples to apples. There needs to be standardization in all aspects of recruiting information so little Suzy in California can be compared to little Mary in Virginia with as much certainty as possible. Granted there will always be cheaters or should I say people who mis-speak?

Hmmm Now how do I work this standardization format into a full time job............

Agree. I was talking about standardization of pitching speeds in another thread the other day. Too many variables to compare apples to apples. There needs to be standardization in all aspects of recruiting information so little Suzy in California can be compared to little Mary in Virginia with as much certainty as possible. Granted there will always be cheaters or should I say people who mis-speak?

Hmmm Now how do I work this standardization format into a full time job............

Already working on that :cool:

Oct 10, 2011
We saw a girl's recruitment page we know and we know she tested having an overhand throw at 53 but has 60 posted. She was one of the slowest on the team and has 3.1 listed as her speed and apparently has grown a couple inches in the last couple weeks. It's amazing that the parents/girls do this. I'd feel to guilty!

Dec 26, 2008
Having worked several NCFA camps I can say that at these events they have some of the best collection of athletes from the top teams in the USA.

The numbers do not lie. Go to the camp results from PA. OH. GA. CO. and TN. The ladies are all graded the same at every event so it is a level playing field for all athletes.

Then look at some of the profiles from these events or on your team.
Pitchers hitting mid to upper 60s when they are lucky to break 60. Same with Revs. The overhand throwing speed, catcher pop time and home to first are others that are often overstated...

Bottom line is be honest.
Your numbers in HS and summer will speak from themselves when the player goes to college combines or recruiting camps.
My dd now playing in college was very slowwww running 3.8H1ST, OHT of 57-59mph, pop time of 2.10-2.05 however; she alwayse lead her team in 2 and 4 base hits with a decent avg. above .300 and solid OBP and high RBI total.
Team this up with solid play in the field at camps/games vs. the best and this is what got the attention of college coaches from D1 to NAIA when playing in these events. Not the video or profile itself.

If the player is all world as their stats/profile say they should have no problem showcasing these skills at these events and getting the attention of college coaches.

As far as video...like the profile these get corrupt... bases are 2 to 5 feet short. Pitching distance 40 feet or home plate moved when hitting. Look at some of the videos done by a pro recruiting service. The frame has been sped up, swings cut and pasted etc....Best place to get looks is at camps, combines and high level showcase events if the player has generated some interest.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi