Does any softball parent have a life outside softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Beside softball theres football too, and baseball, and basketball, and swimming. Im a well-rounded parent.

And no, I dont have any life outside of kids sports anymore. Im OK with that. I barely have time to go to work, in fact my job performance is slipping as I put in zero extra time, I simply dont have it to give. Thats a choice Im consciously making. Life is a journey, not a destination. Im not missing out on my kids lives just to earn more $$, Ive seen too many that did, and I dont want to be like them.

Sep 3, 2009
Crock pot meals like pot roast w/taters and veggies, chilli, stews, ham and beans, split pea soup are good for meals when you will be home in the evenings late and want something hot and ready to go when you get there. Quickies to cook would be stirfry stuff. Thawed meat in the fridge, frozen veggies to add in and a rice cooker makes it a 20 minute meal. Other stuff we do to make sure of decent meals is make extra on the nights that we are home and have leftovers later in the week. Lasagne, jamalaya and meat loaf do good for that, along with a lot of the crock pot meals and the stirfry's.

You just made me hungry. My wife is the queen of crockpot meals. Our family favorite is is pulled pork. She will put a pork shoulder in with bbq sauce, and it just falls apart, put it on some buns and it's quick and super easy. Not to mention yummy. We try and avoid junk food or snack bar food if we can (its hard sometimes), it just slows my dd down. She will mostly eat fresh fruits- strawberries and grapes, things like that. Granola bars, banannas.

KAT

May 13, 2008
Yes I have life outside of softball, its basketball, racing and now Tball (grandaughter). I hear grandaughter is also a soccer player to so I might have soccer also. I used to have volleyball and swimming also. I love watching my kids grow up and find their way in life. My kids are now 17, 21 and 25 and its been a blast watching them play their various sports or racing while growing I wouldn't have missed it for a million dollars. I look forward to the next generation of watching....I might have a little less involvement with the grandkids on a day to day basis but I will be there with bells on everytime I am needed.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We do stir-fry, meatloaf ( made an earlier night after we got home...just have to remember to take it out of the oven whenstarting at 9:30 PM or it cooks all night - a bit too well done), salmon or tuna on the grill and snow crab/king crab legs. Crab legs take no time and with a fast salad and cous-cous you are ready to eat in 20 minutes. All are quick and healthy meals.

DD enjoys turkey panini's and soup from Panera - much better than McD's.

May 24, 2009
With one night off a week, I'm assuming your daughter's team is getting ready for the olympics in 2012.

Well, If you could see how bad our team was you might understand why our coach makes us practice so much. WE ARE HORRIBLE! We are a 2nd year12U team (mostly 12 and 13 year olds) One might think because we have seasoned older girls we could win some games against weaker teams...right? Nooo.. we are still on the bottom of the softball food chain. We won 2 games this past weekend and we thought we were hot stuff, but they were teams that just moved up from 10U this year and has mostly 9 and 10 year olds on the team. It is tough to see 6 games in a weekend and continue to lose week after week. But, that said we love it and softball is not all about winning. It is about having fun!

Elizabeth

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Be happy guys. Sometimes life steps and says bang, and things have to change. Enjoy every damn day you spend running your rear end off.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We are in our second year of rec ball so I can only imagine how it is for some of you who are in travel ball. We practice or play at least three nights a week plus Saturday. Next week is our league post season tourney which if we play well will have us play every night except for Wed and then Sat as well. Then all stars will roll around. Practice four days a week until the first weekend of June when we start the first of four consecutive weekends of tourneys that are Thu night and Fri night pool play and Sat for elimination. We play one of our two warm ups 85 miles from my house. Luckily we are hosting the other along with our area tourney. State is about five hours from us but at least it is at the beach so we can combine it with a vacation (If the oil slick stays away).

Mix this in with the fact we have another daughter on the way that is due Sept 6th and we truly have no life. Did I mention our DD plays 6U? Worth every minute though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles