Do you stay for DD's TB practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have yet to see one single HS practice. Most HS in this area run "closed" practices and parents are not allowed to attend.

I would love to hear from someone who coaches TB and HS and has an open TB practice and closed HS practice to comment on the pros and cons of both. All the HS practices around us are closed while TB practices are open. I guess that is what happens when a player and parent has a choice of which team they join.....

Apr 16, 2013
I've rarely ever missed a practice or game since the very first time my DD stepped on a ball field. There's a few things that I just like to keep an eye on with the coach teaching, but for the most part the greatest enjoyment I have in this world is watching my kids. I'd rather sit and watch my DD practice or do things with my son, than just about anything else in this world. Sometimes I just sit with my DW and watch, sometimes I help when the coach asks, and sometimes I talk to the other parents. I hope this never changes. :)

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I've rarely ever missed a practice or game since the very first time my DD stepped on a ball field. There's a few things that I just like to keep an eye on with the coach teaching, but for the most part the greatest enjoyment I have in this world is watching my kids. I'd rather sit and watch my DD practice or do things with my son, than just about anything else in this world. Sometimes I just sit with my DW and watch, sometimes I help when the coach asks, and sometimes I talk to the other parents. I hope this never changes. :)

How old is your DD?

Silicon5

softball mom
Apr 13, 2014
Silicon valley
we usually stay

DD asked if we could just drop her off for practice instead of staying and watching. I suppose it's not a bad idea to let her be on her own without mom and dad watching to see how she's doing. How many of you drop off DD or stay to watch? What are your feelings on either side?

We usually stay since we have to drive 30 to 45 mins in 5 or 6 lanes of traffic. When practice is over after 2 hours the roads are empty usually. Also DH has started helping since both my girls (12 and 9) are playing for the same organization and so one of us is usually there. We have couches and a TV for parents to watch or chat when we have indoor practice.

I usually chat with other moms or try to figure out topics for my softball blog.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Our TB team has open practices and the only parents that stay are us coaches unless you count the parents that sit in the car and Facebook or text. HS are supposed to be open practices but the only parents that stay are the ones that are "invited" by the coaches which means their favorite players' parents or booster club office holders parents. I stay just to piss them off. JK. :rolleyes:

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
DD, along with about half of her teammates, will get their driver's licenses this summer. A few already have theirs, and drive themselves to practices and games. It's still new for me when I see a girl all decked out in her dusty uniform getting her keys out of her bag and walking to her car after a game.

Does driving make a difference? Are there still some parents at 18U who attend practice from time to time?

My DD's are 11, so I usually stay. Sometimes this fat, old lady even runs the bases during infield practice :) Usually though, I just sit and watch and chat with other Moms/Dads. That being said, there are times I don't stay. For example, tomorrow night my younger son has a baseball game at the same time as practice, so I will be leaving them alone. Thankfully everything is within 2 miles, so I'm not far away.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Ditto here.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I have never had a kid of my own that had closed practices. It seems very strange to me.

I agree Amy. The first thing that comes to mind with a closed practice or an environment that frowns on the parents being around is - What are you doing that you don't want us to see?

A parent can remain at the practice and simply watch.
I can watch without being in the way and learn what DD needs work on then we will do that on our own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan