Do you stay for DD's TB practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I tell my parents and players that it is a benevolent dictatorship.

Yes, but getting some parents to understand that isn't always easy. As has been said before..... In choosing players, it is often best to choose parents. At least look at them first.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Most of our players parents stay for practice, but it is due to driving distance. Whenever I look over at them I can see that most don't pay much attention to what we do. They just chat with each other. Some of the moms will go jogging together. Several of the dads will offer to shag balls or help in other ways. Otherwise they just hang out and leave us alone. Some of them will talk with us about drills and such after practice is over. In fact, one of the dads was telling us about a base running drill he does with his son's baseball team. I asked him to show it to our team at one of the practices and it went over very well.

We have been very lucky with a great group of parents this year.

Jan 24, 2011
Most of our players parents stay for practice, but it is due to driving distance. Whenever I look over at them I can see that most don't pay much attention to what we do. They just chat with each other. Some of the moms will go jogging together. Several of the dads will offer to shag balls or help in other ways. Otherwise they just hang out and leave us alone. Some of them will talk with us about drills and such after practice is over. In fact, one of the dads was telling us about a base running drill he does with his son's baseball team. I asked him to show it to our team at one of the practices and it went over very well.

We have been very lucky with a great group of parents this year.

This pretty much sounds like our practices as well

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I always encouraged parents to stay.

1) they could see what we are working on.
2) they could see what their DD is doing wrong/right, and what we are doing to improve it. ( and hopefully doing that at home )
3) they can see why DD is playing/not playing ______ position
4) they can see why DD is hitting in the ___ spot
5) parents who are "athletically" able, helped running stations or shagging balls
5) any qusetions/concerns, I'd rather answer or deal with them at practice vs a tournament
6) I know not everyone can stay for a whole practice each time, what I learned is the ones who could stay the most ( and saw what went on practice by practice with their DD's and the other players ), were the parents with the least drama.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes, but getting some parents to understand that isn't always easy. As has been said before..... In choosing players, it is often best to choose parents. At least look at them first.

I have passed on some great players with awful parents. Works that way with the college coaches also. :)

Feb 19, 2012
West US
if our HS parents would attend a practice they would see why their "all-star daughter" isnt playing and quit complaining. They'd see her let every line shot go by, miss her cuts, throw with no sense of urgency, miss a dozen routine pop-ups, walk or trot the bases during live scrimmage, start side conversations when the coach is talking, etc. I have stayed for practices from 12u to 16u TB and school ball, I want to see how my DD is doing and where she needs to improve myself, instead of her rose-colored version.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
What age group? Most of my team parents drop their kids off and leave (unless they live a fair distance away). They have been doing this since 12U.

My DD is 14 but is playing with a 16U team so there's more pressure on her now. I think me and the DW make her nervous because if she makes a mistake during practice she always looks over to see if we were watching (we are). And tonight during her lesson she asked me to move so I could not see her swinging. She's going through typical 14 y/o girl stuff so I think we may have to give her some space and let her figure it out on her own. As much as it will kill us to miss practices our collective gut tells us it's the right thing to do, for now, anyway. We'll come to certain practices but will honor her wishes for the most part. If anyone has been in the same boat as us please let me know how you handled it.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I should just clarify that when we are watching DD at practice it is with enjoyment rather than anything judgmental. How DD is taking it is out of our control but we just want to do the right thing for her. That may not be in line with what is right for other parents' DDs.

Aug 9, 2013
I'm a 10U coach and most of the parents stick around. Some will socialize; others will watch and offer to help. It's nice to hear a dad after practice tell me it was a great practice. I'm starting to get the team vibe and when to press them and when to ease off. We had a light practice yesterday teaching new drills - 4 corners, around the world and a fun game we like to do. This was after an 0fer weekend. They came out today and played maybe their best game of the year and beat one of our nemesis.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Since I am one of the assistant coaches I have to stay for practice and I would estimate 90% of our parents stay too. TB parents are typically driving 30+ minutes to get to practice, so going home and coming back is not always practical. Most are not hanging on the fence watching their DD, some bring laptops, some sit in their cars, some like to walk on the high school track that is next to the softball field.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd