Do you feel like a better Coach now big man?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I coached against this same type jerk for years. He would steal home up 15 runs. Bring in "guest" players who were the best he could find. Play the weakest competition around just to get a trophy. I used to hate to play his team when DD was younger. As my DD got older and on better quality teams, he stayed playing against the weaker teams to trophy hunt and keep winning. Last summer, he entered his TB team in 14u tournaments 2 hours away, when there was good tournaments within a half hour drive. It took me a few weeks to realize what he was doing. He was taking 15 and 16 yoa girls and playing them in the 14u division. He must have felt awesome coming home with those trophies. Even better the weeks he lost. I am a believer in karma. I want to be there when he gets his. I know it is coming. The sad part is his DD is a really good player. She should be playing for a good high level TB team instead of daddyball for this jerk. I have a feeling the apple will be settling pretty close to the tree and she will end up being a wasted talent. Time will tell. Maybe that is his karma coming back to get him.

Apr 9, 2012
I despise fall league. The ubber competitive coaches that dont win at the tourney level come out to try and dominate the rec level. Most of the time it doesnt work.

In a 12C league I never started my aces and always used it as practices to work and let the other team work. I keep my elecgronic stats but dont strategize or consider scores at all. Its rec and work. Girls know this. Ill ask my beast of a hitter to work her bunting and even tell the defense were working bunt so they can work bunt too.

One teams coach brought in a high school pitcher (12c rec). She wasnt beating us at all but she hit 75% of the batters-most in the head. The rest dodged several shots as well. Coach told me my girls needed to suck it up and learn to dodge better when I asked for professional courtesy and a new pitcher.
Why is the sportsmanship so poor at the C and league level. If I hadnt put my 2 teams in the league there would nt be a league at all.

Most of my girls are 5th and 6th grade to boot.

Guess I screwed up that decision.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
This summer I had a team in a B division that, I found out early, should've played A. It was painful to hit the brakes when it was only the 2nd inning, but we did hit the brakes!
The team didn't get as much out of playing together as I would've liked, but I learned a LOT about paying attention to the score and mixing up the batting order and kids got to try lots of new positions! There were a few coaches that thought I was a jerk for running up the score, but in those cases I wasn't paying attention to the score and things got out of hand before I realized it.

At the end of the summer, we played in an open tournament and the team played better than I had ever seen them play before,m so they did get something out of all those games we played together!

Mar 28, 2013
More and more my DDs coaches call up teams that we compete well with and rent a field and a few umpires and do a double header round robin a few times each fall. Its cheaper and a whole lot more productive than crushing new teams. It normally involves a Barbecue with all teams that is fun and a short seminar by the umpires to the girls about how blue sees things the Dos and Donts.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Why are the teams so unevenly matched in a league? Are these teams from different organizations?

Yes. Many teams from different cities around the area. One organization "hosting". We play 4 double headers (8 games) against random teams. Then, the next 4 double headers are supposed to be against like talented teams. Like an upper bracket and lower bracket on a Sunday of a tourney. However, either the schedule makers made a major snafu, or the Evil Empire that we played rested their best pitchers and took a few losses in the first half of the season. But...we played two more games last night, went 1-1, and the girls had a great time, not to mention they made some very good plays and swung the bats well!

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
BTW, there are a ton of options in my area. My city has four 12U teams, with my team being the least experienced. So, we played this development league, while the other 12U teams in my city played tourneys all fall. We will finish up the season playing a 12U C level tourney in October. My goal for spring will be to possibly play .500 ball while the girls develop their game. There are many players on my team with potential. I don't judge my "success" by wins and losses. I judge it by how many girls come back and play softball the next season after I've coached them. We lose a lot of girls in this sport after 12U. Plus, having three daughters of my own, I know it's about so much more than wins, losses, or if they continue to play softball past high school.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild