Do you ever hit off of a machine?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
I use an ATEC "Rookie". The design is very sensitive to slight variations in ball size; the less predictable flight path it produces (compared to what comes out of those Jugs machines) forces the batter to be more disciplined and makes the batting practice a little more realistic. Beyond that, I imagine one thing the machines are definitely good for is to emulate perfect risers. The problem is of course those risers stop looking like risers after you've seen three or four of them in a row. So to get the true effect, you'd have to throw a few coach-pitches first to condition the batter; which is a little awkward, and largely destroys the surprise element...

May 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Has anyone ever used the "Personal Pitcher" or other soft toss machines? Do these go in the same category as pitching machine? We typically use one as one of our hitting stations. Our machine is not consistent as far as location so the hitters do not get as comfortable with location but speed is pretty consistent.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I like both personal pitcher and the Jugs Toss machine. I use the toss machine myself.

As with Briand, I use them as a station.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
For the sake of argument, many here know that my dd set a goal of hitting 150 balls a day for most of her life. She hit the vast majority of those off of a machine. We did incorporate movements for timing. For example, we show the ball with a ball in our other hand already ready to drop in the chute and then make a throwing motion and drop the ball. Also, we don't use balls for the same year. Every ball is marked with the year it was purchased and so, has different wear. That prevents it from being predictable. We do incorporate alot of other activities. For example, I'm a big fan of bouncing the ball as a variation of front toss. It is my opinion that any of these activities can never stand on their own. However, I believe that machines have a valuable place per repetitions and speed. JMHO!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
have their place, but need soft toss. A coach needs to be pitching a hitter inside high- low to outside high-low, analyzing what she does, and correcting her. Teach how to hit inside and outside pitches, etc. A machine simply cant vary that like a coach on a bucket behind a screen can.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I also use a machine as part of a routine, but not exclusively. To me, if you say you shouldn't use a machine because it's not the same as a live pitcher, then you shouldn't use a tee because that's not the same either. I've noticed a lot of hitters who struggle with weight shift on the tee but have no trouble achieving it in a live pitching situation. Does that mean we shouldn't use the tee either? Of course not.

A pitching machine is a tool. It's good for allowing the players to see a ball moving faster over a longer distance than most of us can throw it. As Cannonball says, if you mix up the balls you get different speeds and locations. I always use the balls with seams, which also helps. The ball location can vary depending on how you put it in the machine. I do a lot of live toss from the front, and a lot of tee work with hitters as well.

In my perfect world, sure, I'd have my hitters hit off live pitching a lot. But I don't have that luxury. So I have to make due with having them do other things. By the way, one of my favorites is having them hit over-ripe fruit off soft toss from the side. The objective is to get it to explode. If you apply a lot of quick power to a specific point it really explodes. Strawberries are particularly good for that.

I doubt Coach Candrea uses machines much. Why should he? One of my former students played for him for a year, and she told me Jennie Finch and some other former pitchers at U of A would drop by now and then to pitch batting practice. Nice option if you can get it. But if you're Joe Local coaching a travel team you're probably not going to have much success getting her to stop by your practice. And your former pitchers have probably moved on to other phases of their lives.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, I know some people use the hand fed machines, but the ones I really don't like are the Iron Mikes, that throw the hard yellow balls. There are 50 balls in the hopper and it spits one out every 7 seconds. I think that 9 out of 10 of them are the same pitch.

And worse than that, in my opinion, are the outside commercial cages, like you see at a go cart park. If you aren't on your toes, those things are lethal. :)

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
And worse than that, in my opinion, are the outside commercial cages, like you see at a go cart park. If you aren't on your toes, those things are lethal.

Agree here bigtime! We never go to a park that has automatic feeding though it still has a little value. It is likely with these machines that you'll drop in your money and get 12 high outside pitches for a dollar.

One thing I do (that I am certain that most of the rest of you do as well but for those not familiar) with the machine is mimic the pitchers upper body motion to help promote timing. I turn sideways to the hitter. Hold the ball in my left hand with the ball nearly in the feed shoot. Then with another ball in my right hand I make a full arm circle and only release the ball (in my left hand) as my right hand passes my hip. Kind an illusion of a windmill.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We use two baseball machines and do not hit sofballs in the two cages. In the middle cage we have two softball pitching machines set up. One for fastballs, one for change ups . We then use the Barry Bonds drill when we work with the middle cage. Each Girl hits a bucket of balls in cage every night, if we do not have a game. I tape and use RVP to show them what they need to work on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30