Do you ever hit off of a machine?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I thought I would start a new thread, because I found out 25 years ago how bad my team played after spending an entire winter hitting off a machine.

They were freshman and sophomores in college and I was so enamored with the indoor cage.

All I knew about using it, was from watching the baseball team just get in there and hit away - a lot.

I bought a Jugs Junior for my kids and my older boys hit pretty well off of it. (It has both attachments.) But, again, when it came to softball, my DDs team didn't have any success.

So, now, I almost shudder when a softball parent tells me how much time there DD spent at the cages last week.

My DDs HS team did not fair well from using the machine every day at practice either.

So, after all these years of "scientific research" :confused: I would rather have a dad throw tennis balls overhand to the girls, than use my Jugs for BP. Does anyone know if the colleges even use a machine anymore? I notice that most MLB practice here in Tucson, is live pitching.

Jan 25, 2010
doesnt address your question specifically, but i also despise pitching machines. i dont use them with either of my teams. i find it throws off their timing - they get too comfortable with the "precision" speed and location.

my 7 yo son works with a JC coach who does 100% live pitch. barring tee work, etc., of course.

Mar 6, 2009
I like machines, but also like live pitch, soft toss, t-work etc... I think it is a mistake to not use them, but also a mistake to have them be your only tool.

Bill

Mar 15, 2010
I limit the pitching machine to buntng practice. Otherwise live pitching, soft toss, tee, etc... I have found one good use for the pitching machine. Dial it down to 30 mph and angle it at 45 degrees. Drop a tennis ball and you can play fetch with your dog for an hour without tiring out the arm.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I agree with Bill.
Also, I think the success of the machine depends on how it is employed and also the age/skill level of the players.

The machines we use are consistent only in speed but not location, so that may help in their effectiveness as a training tool.

Up here in the Northeast, you don't get a lot of time where you can practice outdoors before the spring season starts, so you do the best you can with what you get.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Our HS coach uses the pitching machine a lot. I despise the thing because it is demonically possessed, I swear. It does not go in the same place every time. It throws a lot of junk. It is old and needs to just die already. We raised over $5,000 last year to buy a pitching machine and put up a batting cage... then with improvements promised to the school they were supposed to give us one. Well, they won't spend our $ on that if the school would just give us on with the improvements. I don't feel the improvements will ever happen being as we are dirt floor poor. My grandchildren will get to play on a nice field with a pitching machine and batting cage, but I sure as heck won't even after busting my tail selling stuff to earn the money. /end rant

I don't mind the pitching machine, but that definitely shouldn't be the only tool. I help with a 10U team when I can (often have school games and can't attend their practices). One Saturday practice, they faced live pitching for the first time. I had NO idea they hadn't seen anything live due to having missed practices because of my school schedule. Definitely, definitely need to mix it up.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think machines are good but just as a part of training. machines have gotten a bad rap because people hit well off machines and not in games. You have to start with the premise - "Don't expect to hit well in games because you hit well off a machine". Instead say,"Hitting off a machine is one way to help improve your game hitting skills". The machine can help you work on tracking balls moving towards you with your eyes. Staying balanced and connected when swinging at a ball coming at you at high speed. Mechanical limitations include the lack of variety in speed, location and movement. The most significant limitations include adjusting to a pitchers intentional unpredictabilty when it comes to speed, movement and especially knowing that you are working a pitch count where you have to decide balls and strikes...the mind game. No one would expect to hit well in a game because they hit well off a tee but we would not stop using tees...same with machines. I like the fancy two wheel Atec machines that are instantly adjustable and can add a variety of spins with just a few clicks on a knob.

Oct 19, 2009
I think machines are good but just as a part of training. machines have gotten a bad rap because people hit well off machines and not in games. You have to start with the premise - "Don't expect to hit well in games because you hit well off a machine". Instead say,"Hitting off a machine is one way to help improve your game hitting skills". The machine can help you work on tracking balls moving towards you with your eyes. Staying balanced and connected when swinging at a ball coming at you at high speed. Mechanical limitations include the lack of variety in speed, location and movement. The most significant limitations include adjusting to a pitchers intentional unpredictabilty when it comes to speed, movement and especially knowing that you are working a pitch count where you have to decide balls and strikes...the mind game. No one would expect to hit well in a game because they hit well off a tee but we would not stop using tees...same with machines. I like the fancy two wheel Atec machines that are instantly adjustable and can add a variety of spins with just a few clicks on a knob.

Good advise I agree totally, the machines are tools when used properly can help improve hitting in game situations. I like the Barry Bonds drill Howard describes and believe it will benefit most hitters.

My daughter attended camps at Georgia and Alabama, Georgia used the machines during the camp they had an indoor facility very nice and 2 expensive looking machines. At Alabama the coached advised he did not believe in the machine and coaches pitched batting practice, I did see pitching machines there, but never saw them used.

We saw team USA play about 3 years ago prior to the game they dad a male pitcher pitch batting practice and also hit from a tee.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
At Alabama the coached advised he did not believe in the machine and coaches pitched batting practice,

Thanks. I like the way that guy teaches and he has all of his players on the same page. I am going to ask around and see if Candrea uses a machine. I do know that they are not visible when I am there for clinics, but they could be put away.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2009
We really only use machines for bunting. We try to turn them up about as high as they'll go and have the girls focus on placing the bunt and deadening the ball. THey also get used to seeing faster pitching without messing up their mechanics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar