Do Rosin bags help in cold weather

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Posted a similar question almost a year ago. People recommended gorrilla gold which in the end proved to be hard to get, then once we did get it was too tacky, to the point that my DD simply could not pitch with it.

Temperature has dropped significantly in this area.

Pitching practice last night daughter was complaining that the ball was slick. Once that temperature drops and the ball gets cold it seems to get very slippery to the grip.

Had a rosin bag but she hadn't used it in so long we didn't know where it was. Going to pick one up today.

Question for you more experienced pitchers.

Do Rosin bags even help in cold weather? Thought they were made for moisture rather then tackyness (if that is a word)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The GG tack rag is what's exclusively used here in the cold, wet northeast. Maybe try wiping off some of the tack or going to it less frequently?

May 17, 2012
Unfortunately that won't be an option. First because it was difficult to get. Ordered it through Golfsmith last time. Wasn't out on the shelf anywhere I could find and kept getting back ordered. Probably took 3 weekds to get.

Second the moment she used it last year it was just bad. Would probably take her a while to adjust.

Guess we will have to go Rosin and hope for the best. It was not pretty last night. The only pitched that seemed unaffected was her changeup which she grips like a horseshoe.

Teams may be seeing a lot of that pitch this weekend.

Sigh....

Jul 26, 2010
You have to practice like you play.

Rosin will dry her hand a bit, if she sweats it will help.

Is it the cold she's having an issue with or the wetness?

-W

May 17, 2012
The balls are dry. I guess it is possible her hands are moist. She complained immediately it was a grip issue and that the ball was slippery. And I noticed it to. In the cold it gets rock hard and slick for me as well.

So picked up a rosin bag. DD has too much school work so we will be trying it out tomorrow.

I went outside and grabbed a few balls. It was pretty cold out and the balls were slick. I tried the rosin bag myself and it did seem to help.

Saturday morning going to be 35 degrees at the start of our first game.

Funny thing was they actually had the GG towels at play it again sports. I bought them. We'll give them a try to, but she said they made the ball sticky last time and was not thrilled when I showed them to her this time.

Jul 26, 2010
She's supposed to put the GG on her fingers, not on the ball. Just touch the cloth and then go, it doesn't take much, you don't need to "rub it on". The idea is that her finger tips will be slightly tacky. Tacky is the opposite of slippery.

Practice in the gold with synthetic balls. When she gets to the game and they have leather balls, she'll be in heaven.

-W

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If it is cold, ask the umpires if she can blow on her fingers. Also, you can ask if she can place he fingers in her mouth. That is how I dealt with pitching and the cold although it was baseball. Most umpires allowed both myself and my opponent to do so.

Just started using a new product called....Liquid Grip... Liquid Grip - What's In Your Grip? for their website. It seems to work better than anything else we tried. The best thing is it is approved by the NCAA. Not sure where ASA/USSSA/High School Leagues stand regarding this product, but I ASSUME that if the NCAA has approved it the others have or will.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A moving van and "For Sale" sign should solve your problem....LOL. I would suggest you buy a rosin bag and give it a try. They are cheap, and even if it does not help in the cold weather, you can save it in a zip lock bag and use it next summer!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877