Do I have a legitimate reason to pull my daughter from her team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2015
Wow everyone thanks for all the advice. Now I feel like a bad parent because I had it all wrong I guess. I thought it was right to let the player's handle issues but I see now it depends on the issue. As for her playing other positions, she's asked more than once to get some time at third or first but she isn't budging either kid apparently. Even in practice just let her get some reps in but nope. No one else plays those positions. Those kids don't budge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 21, 2015
Nice kids on this team too. Not a player issue at all. The kids are all great.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
....As for her playing other positions, she's asked more than once to get some time at third or first but she isn't budging either kid apparently. Even in practice just let her get some reps in but nope. No one else plays those positions. Those kids don't budge.

This is a HUGE red flag, especially if your DD aspires to play college ball. Any TB coach/team that has players in "set positions" should be avoided like the plague.

Sep 29, 2014
One thing I have not heard from OP is an honest assessment, not like it is possible, but as much as possible of the other catcher. Does she block well and throw runners out fairly regularly?

If your DD is in the line up and hitting every game, then I think the coach thinks she is one of the best hitters on the team...but if she is not in the field she has determined that she is not one of the best fielders. Does she have the speed to play the outfield maybe not sounds like her range might be limited if she is looking for 1B or 3B are 1B and 3B two of the better players on the team?

I would have her ask the coach what she can do to get time behind the plate...but you have to be honest with yourself and she does too; if the catcher is a stud with a rocket arm throwing runner out and not letting balls get by her then there is no reason to play your DD except for player development or rest for the primary catcher. If your DD is the BACKUP catcher she really should not expect more than a pool game per tournament maybe two depending on the GG. If she wants to be the primary catcher she might have to leave the team but it does not sound like there is a reason to pull her now.

Does the coach have a policy about guest playing...if she could guest for a team that would promise her 50% of the tournament behind the plate I might explore that as an option explaining to her coach that there is no way for her to get better if she is not playing the position in games.

Jun 21, 2015
I didn't want to address the other catcher. But since you asked, Both kids are pretty even. Where one is weaker the other is stronger and vice versa. But each catcher's weaknesses are really not killing their game, know what I mean? Neither would deserve limited time.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I agree with most of the others, but would also just say that, unless there's a ton of catcher positions open in your age group in your area right now, I would probably stick it out until the tryout circuit starts up again this summer. Make sure she's working hard at her lessons and have her guest play whenever possible to keep up her skills. If this coach has her pigeon-holed, it's going to be hard to overcome. If, on the other hand, you see an ad for a catcher with a team you like, then go ahead and contact them (quietly).

Feb 7, 2013
You forgot one.

4. The other catcher is the DD of a coach on the team.

If this is true, your DD has little to no chance of getting playing time and you need to find a team of paid coaches with no DDs on the team, if at all possible.

Your other question was whether to talk with the coach via email, over the phone, or in person. In-person is the correct answer. Be open and honest with the coach, if you don't like the answer then you and your DD move on. Good catchers are normally in high demand and she should be able to find a team where she gets playing time on defense.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
This is a HUGE red flag, especially if your DD aspires to play college ball. Any TB coach/team that has players in "set positions" should be avoided like the plague.

This is a huge red flag for me. The best thing a kid can do is play as many positions as possible as long as possible. My DD has learned so much by playing multiple positions. It has helped her understand how the different spots interact with each other and see the field from different perspectives not just the OF. I wouldn't have thought this 6 years ago but luckily the guys I coached with believed it was best.

She has played travel since 8U and from the beginning we worked every girl at multiple positions during each and every practice. Even though mine was left handed she spent time at 3rd and SS. The only spots everyone did not rotate to was pitcher and catcher. I really realize how much it has helped since she has started in 6 different positions for our school this season. Her bat keeps her in the lineup but instead of just DP'ing she is in the field every game because she can fill in for anyone that is banged up or just needs a break.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Ask the Outfielders and Infielders on any college team what position they played in HS/TB. You may be surprised with the answers. One position that is guaranteed is the one on the bench if you can't hit. :)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've seen this happen in school ball, but not on a TB team. Others here are spot-on wrt rotating players defensively. Most everyone should be able to play at least two positions, and coaches who don't train to that are detrimental to a player's development. Sitting that much is something that shouldn't continue.

I'll say that if your kid is good enough to be a hitter in every game for this team, I'd bet big money that she's good enough to hit AND play defense for some other team. If she's a serviceable catcher, she's going to be in demand. Anyone who is decent at catcher can also play 1B/3B. At this age, your DD should ask the question to the coach of "what do I have to do to get on the field SOMEWHERE defensively". If the answer isn't reasonable, time for dad to have an open and honest discussion with coach at a mutually agreeable time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog