Do I have a legitimate reason to pull my daughter from her team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
No reason given. TB 14u. She's a catcher. Two girls stole on her a couple of weeks ago. (No runs ended up scoring or anything from it). Got pulled from that game and hasn't seen the field really since then. Even asking to get some time at other positions. Everything else in her game is solid. I don't get it. Those throws weren't horrible just didn't get there in time. Now she's got confidence issues. This was never a problem before. Kinda want to get her confidence back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel for you. My DD is a catcher too and we've had similar issues from time to time. In our first tournament with our current team (long story), Coach gave DD the signs about 5 minutes before the game. He confused her by referencing a "slider" (she didn't understand what that was, but there was no time for questions) and then flashed a sign that he hadn't explained to her before. She got confused. He took her out after the second inning and never put her back in at C the remainder of the day, opting to give a pick-up player the vast majority of the catching time. She was confused and hurt. I hope we have that issue straightened out now. Does this coach normally bench pitchers and catchers when they're not playing their primary position? If so, then this would be in line with business as usual. I think she just has to talk to him herself. A simple, "What can I do to see more playing time?" should get to the heart of the matter. But let her try before you step in.

Nov 29, 2009
She does everything you asked. Sees a catching/hitting instructor regularly. Extra work all the time. Blocks and frames great. Actually is known as a great blocker. I don't get it all. Arm isn't killer but not terrible. Thats the only thing I can think of. Also she just started working with a conditioning coach. She's trying everything

Unfortunately, for a catcher arm strength is one of the things every opposing coach looks at on the field. Most any other position on the field you can get away with an average arm. I know as a coach if I have good team speed I will make the catcher show me she can throw out a stealing running at 2nd, or make it so close I will have to think twice about sending a runner.

Have you looked into the Wasserman Throwing program? That may help. Also, video her during the games on steals. There may be something in the release mechanics the catching coach can address to help speed them up.

DD had a catcher in HS and college who had an average arm, but the ball got out so fast to 2nd you swore it just bounced off of her.

Good luck to your DD. It sounds like she's willing to do what it takes to get on the field. Let us know how the conversation with the coach went.

Jun 21, 2015
Coach said she will talk to her in practice later in the week. Pitchers play other positions. Both catchers split entirely even through the Fall. I don't know, she literally seems to only get one, maybe two steal attempts in a game. She pops up fast with wild pitches so runners usually hold. Last game she did play she had 0 passed balls and I'm not even sure anyone stole. Maybe one? I'm being dead serious. Attitude is good. (Sometimes she's too agreeable, doesn't like to cause confrontation).

Jun 21, 2015
Unfortunately, for a catcher arm strength is one of the things every opposing coach looks at on the field. Most any other position on the field you can get away with an average arm. I know as a coach if I have good team speed I will make the catcher show me she can throw out a stealing running at 2nd, or make it so close I will have to think twice about sending a runner.

Have you looked into the Wasserman Throwing program? That may help. Also, video her during the games on steals. There may be something in the release mechanics the catching coach can address to help speed them up.

DD had a catcher in HS and college who had an average arm, but the ball got out so fast to 2nd you swore it just bounced off of her.

Good luck to your DD. It sounds like she's willing to do what it takes to get on the field. Let us know how the conversation with the coach went.

When I get her back with her catching coach we will get him to take a close look at that pop and throw to second.

Jun 21, 2015
I feel for you. My DD is a catcher too and we've had similar issues from time to time. In our first tournament with our current team (long story), Coach gave DD the signs about 5 minutes before the game. He confused her by referencing a "slider" (she didn't understand what that was, but there was no time for questions) and then flashed a sign that he hadn't explained to her before. She got confused. He took her out after the second inning and never put her back in at C the remainder of the day, opting to give a pick-up player the vast majority of the catching time. She was confused and hurt. I hope we have that issue straightened out now. Does this coach normally bench pitchers and catchers when they're not playing their primary position? If so, then this would be in line with business as usual. I think she just has to talk to him herself. A simple, "What can I do to see more playing time?" should get to the heart of the matter. But let her try before you step in.

Thank you. I'm not stepping in. She needs to do this on her own, I think. I should have added, it seemed to all go bad a few weeks ago when I said in that game she got the throw to second late. (It wasn't like the runners had a sandwich before the Ball got there). She was just coming off a mild arm injury. That went away. No soreness now. Also in that same game there seemed to be some sign confusion in one pitch that resulted in a big hit for the other team. CMMom you actually triggered my memory. She seems to be in the doghouse since.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Well I'm not asking the coach. That's on her. And she is asking. Waiting on a response

Since I'm bored...why is this on a 14u to talk to the coach.
I'm not stepping in. She needs to do this on her own,
If my DD I'M talking to the coach( which I have done and quit the team after wards.) if I think my DD should be playing.
Find a team your DD will play on/for. Not a thing to learn on the beach. NOT/NOTHING to be learned on the beach.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Thank you. I'm not stepping in. She needs to do this on her own, I think. I should have added, it seemed to all go bad a few weeks ago when I said in that game she got the throw to second late. (It wasn't like the runners had a sandwich before the Ball got there). She was just coming off a mild arm injury. That went away. No soreness now. Also in that same game there seemed to be some sign confusion in one pitch that resulted in a big hit for the other team. CMMom you actually triggered my memory. She seems to be in the doghouse since.

You mentioned injury, and that is similar to us as well. DD is coming off rotator cuff tendinitis over the Winter Break, and I would say that, although she's better, she's still a little scared to throw at 100%. I wonder if lack of confidence/fear of hurting herself again is coming across to our coach negatively and that he's hesitant to use her as much as he could be. Maybe your coach is similar; nervous of what might happen performance-wise if she's still not 100%. But, regardless, it would be nice to have open communication so that the issue can be worked through (for you and for us).

Jun 21, 2015
Since I'm bored...why is this on a 14u to talk to the coach.

If my DD I'M talking to the coach( which I have done and quit the team after wards.) if I think my DD should be playing.
Find a team your DD will play on/for. Not a thing to learn on the beach. NOT/NOTHING to be learned on the beach.

Seriously? I thought by 14u the girls should be addressing playing time issues for themselves. I mean, I would step in if a more serious issue was going on, (something crazy like verbal abuse or something) but I will leave it up to her to open the communication and see where it goes. I feel it never goes well when a parent addresses playing time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO:

a) You or your DD should find out why she isn't catching. You need specifics...is it pass balls? Is it her arm? If she has a position coach, he needs this information.

b) I haven't seen your DD play, but the coach took your DD as a catcher. She should be given an opportunity to catch. Perhaps she doesn't catch against the best teams, but she should get a chance to catch.

c) You should let the coach know the situation: In order for your DD to develop as a catcher, she has to catch. If this coach isn't going to let her catch, then she has to find another team. This should not be an "angry" discussion. It is just the way it is. If the coach doesn't think your DD is talented enough for his team...then, find another team. (While I agree that she should be talking to the coach about playing time, this message would probably be best delivered by you.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00