Do I have a legitimate reason to pull my daughter from her team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I will see how it goes when she has the discussion with coach. I will step in if need be. Ok so what age do you think the kids should handle it without mommy and daddy stepping in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your daughter is old enough to seek the answers on her own. She should ask what she needs to improve to get more time catching. Once you/she have that info you can make an informed decision. Once she get the answers you may need to meet the coach face to face, or you will at least understand why she isn't catching.

There are three reasons she's not catching-
1. The coach is clueless
2. The other catcher is better
3. You overestimate your daughter's skills

If the coach is honest with her and/or you your decision will be clear.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Before you pull your DD from a team I would suggest looking for some opportunities to pickup with other teams that may be of interest. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would also like to point out that the team that wins the most games is not always the best fit. Coaches that "play to win" may win a lot of games, but player development will suffer for those girls not in the starting lineup.

Jun 21, 2015
Before you pull your DD from a team I would suggest looking for some opportunities to pickup with other teams that may be of interest. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would also like to point out that the team that wins the most games is not always the best fit. Coaches that "play to win" may win a lot of games, but player development will suffer for those girls not in the starting lineup.

Absolutely. This team wins maybe 75% of the time. She would play for a losing team. It's all about development for us. Not so much winning. Yes it's more fun to win, but not a deal breaker.

May 17, 2012
Now my question is....face to face? Email? This coach is a bit of a hot head. She has stated before she doesn't like to talk to parents about playing time.

As a coach I would prefer face to face. If that's not possible than a phone call will do.

This isn't a playing time issue such as her position in the batting lineup or her not playing other positions when she isn't catching. She isn't playing her primary position. You need to get involved.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I will see how it goes when she has the discussion with coach. I will step in if need be. Ok so what age do you think the kids should handle it without mommy and daddy stepping in?

Unfortunately it is now fashionable for some to be a friend to their kid and not be a parent. The reality is that you are the parent and need to be involved until she is an adult. To what extent you are involved depends on your DD's maturity and the situation. You should not rely on your DD to handle this on her own as you will be left with more questions than answers. If you want her to take the initiative and lead the conversation and you facilitate the discussion that is great, but you need to be there when it happens.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
The rule that I was told by a former Team USA player and current hitting coach, as well as HS asst., is that if you're not playing 60% of the time, you're on the wrong team. I tend to drop that to 50% at the younger ages, and things get debatable when you have to factor in how to quantify DH playing time. The real question that only you and your DD can answer is whether you want to leave mid-season or wait it out until July.

This is interesting to me. Do you think that the percentage should be different for specialty positions (pitcher/catcher) than for other positions?

Jun 12, 2015
Mine's younger (10U) but we want her top 7 for hitting. She's young and learning and to me there's no point having her on a team where she'll sit a bunch. She's also a pitcher and our goal is #1 or #2 pitcher so she gets her time in the circle. It's not about thinking she should never sit; I think even the best player on the team should get to sit sometimes. It's good for the character. But if she were bottom 4 I think I'd want to look elsewhere. She only gets to do this once and it'll be over so quickly. It makes sense to me to have her on a team where she'll play. JMO.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I agree with others that you may need to have a serious talk with coach. If she doesn't intent to give her much playing time at all, she should be honest and let you and your DD know that. She may believe that just letting her hit is enough to keep her happy, when it clearly isn't. I would let the coach know that if it continues they way it is, you intent on guest playing with other teams, and possibly leaving altogether.

And as others said, find your DD another position/s to play besides catcher. Work with her on something. If she has the speed, all teams need a good centerfielder. Work with her on infield plays, and strategies. With her size, she may be a good fit at Third. It is important and that age to not specialize at one position. Coaches love a versatile player. My DD has played every position except for First base in her playing time. She played catcher a lot as a younger player, but had to give up on being full time catcher, due to back surgery but was able to play other positions. Coaches love a player that they can put anywhere on the field and know that she will be able to adapt.

Edit to add....I guess I did not answer the original question. I would say no. Not yet. If you talk to the coach and don't get a positive outcome then I would say possibly yes. Depends on if DD is that unhappy with current situation, and a suitable team can be found.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff