Do college coaches check with the admission office?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Do college coaches check with the admissions office to see if a student has met with an admission's counselor? I heard that it will help the student be taken more seriously by the coach if they've met with a counselor. Is that correct?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I don't know if they do but everything you or your DD can do to show they are serious about the school helps. They could mention something about the school from their visit. I always encouraged DD to mention the school and the team in her emails. Great win over the rival. OF had a great walk off. Something to let them know you are paying attention and not sending a cookie cutter email to every coach.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Do college coaches check with the admissions office to see if a student has met with an admission's counselor? I heard that it will help the student be taken more seriously by the coach if they've met with a counselor. Is that correct?

They shouldn't have to reach out. Your DD should have already told them that she has done this or have it scheduled or reference similar events at the university. It absolutely shows you are really interested in attending this school and are not just fishing.

Our players have got a lot of attention from coaches when they included that they have taken a college tour or met with the admissions office or talked to current students/professors or other similar events. If you are attending a camp at the school you 100% should also take whatever formal tour or other activity you can get involved in and then tell the coach you did it.

For my DD the coach generally met them at the end of a tour or on occasion joined them on the tour to talk more. More than one school had one of the players working as one of the College's orientation tour guide which was also a good way for them to get more info.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I don't know if they do but everything you or your DD can do to show they are serious about the school helps. They could mention something about the school from their visit. I always encouraged DD to mention the school and the team in her emails. Great win over the rival. OF had a great walk off. Something to let them know you are paying attention and not sending a cookie cutter email to every coach.

Thanks.

DD writes a paragraph in each email specifically about the school, addressing something about the team's accomplishments, names the specific academic program in the school she's interested in, and something about the campus she likes after taking a virtual tour.

I was told coaches check to see if a student has officially toured the campus with the office of admissions, pre-COVID times. I was wondering about the admission's counselor thing.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was told coaches check to see if a student has officially toured the campus with the office of admissions, pre-COVID times. I was wondering about the admission's counselor thing.
Do they actually have the time to check on this? Are trying to figure out if the coach is interested?
  • Did DD filled out the online recruiting questionnaire?
  • Has she been emailing/postcarding/snail mailing the coach?
  • Sent videos?
  • Has she actually been on campus?
  • Has she attended a camp?
  • Does the coach know who she is?
  • Has the coach seen her play?
  • Has TB coach/recruiter helped with communication?

Dec 11, 2010
They shouldn't have to reach out. Your DD should have already told them that she has done this or have it scheduled or reference similar events at the university. It absolutely shows you are really interested in attending this school and are not just fishing.

Our players have got a lot of attention from coaches when they included that they have taken a college tour or met with the admissions office or talked to current students/professors or other similar events. If you are attending a camp at the school you 100% should also take whatever formal tour or other activity you can get involved in and then tell the coach you did it.

For my DD the coach generally met them at the end of a tour or on occasion joined them on the tour to talk more. More than one school had one of the players working as one of the College's orientation tour guide which was also a good way for them to get more info.
^^^So true^^^^

Having just gone through all this, we absolutely 100% screwed up not applying to school that we *thought* was not interested. (Turns out the recruiting coordinator for travel team knew this school was still in the mix and didn’t tell us about it. Story for another day but a very amateur move by a well known org.)

Missed out on some academic money because of it too.

I mentioned to dd and wife last fall that she should “apply and see what happens” and didn’t follow through. Big mistake, and one we should not have made. Live and learn.

Before someone else says it, the best person to look out for your interests is you. While we paid good money to play on “one of those teams”, we trusted a little too much that they were looking out for us and we didn’t take care of business as well as we should have.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
^^^So true^^^^

Having just gone through all this, we absolutely 100% screwed up not applying to school that we *thought* was not interested. (Turns out the recruiting coordinator for travel team knew this school was still in the mix and didn’t tell us about it. Story for another day but a very amateur move by a well known org.)

Missed out on some academic money because of it too.

I mentioned to dd and wife last fall that she should “apply and see what happens” and didn’t follow through. Big mistake, and one we should not have made. Live and learn.

Before someone else says it, the best person to look out for your interests is you. While we paid good money to play on “one of those teams”, we trusted a little too much that they were looking out for us and we didn’t take care of business as well as we should have.
Notice how I had that last on my list?

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Do they actually have the time to check on this? Are trying to figure out if the coach is interested?
  • Did DD filled out the online recruiting questionnaire?
  • Has she been emailing/postcarding/snail mailing the coach?
  • Sent videos?
  • Has she actually been on campus?
  • Has she attended a camp?
  • Does the coach know who she is?
  • Has the coach seen her play?
  • Has TB coach/recruiter helped with communication?

Not trying to figure out if the coach is interested, just want to know the appropriate steps to take.

Thanks for the list.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not trying to figure out if the coach is interested, just want to know the appropriate steps to take.

Thanks for the list.
For my DD, the coach set up an all day campus tour visit. Before that he needed to know that she could get in the school. Top 10% for auto entry or big Scores. During the campus tour, she had a general tour with regular student types, met with Admissions, the Business school advisors, lunch with some players, dorm and dining hall tours, and then finished at the coaches office. Got her offer, accepted and then drove home. Long Day.

This is just how it went down for DD. She never stepped foot on campus before her tour. Other players will have different experiences and no two are alike.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD goes to a private college with high academic standards. The coach communicates frequently with the admissions department to determine if a prospective athlete even has a chance to get in. Why spend a lot of time recruiting a player that can't get into the school? Of course this probably varies by school based on their admission standards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13