Do college coaches check with the admission office?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
This does depend on the school, though. Some high academic schools do want to see the demonstrated interest from the recruit where a coach’s input doesn’t hold much water with the admissions dept. Since these schools receive so many applications from students who almost all have excellent grades and test scores, it helps to weed out some applicants.
Can you explain further? Why does a kid's interest level matter more at high academic schools? I'm too dense to get it I guess.

May 27, 2013
I‘m taking a stab at it here as this was told to us by a few coaches at some of the schools where they didn’t have much pull with the admissions offices - these schools get so many applications from well-qualified students that they look for genuine interest from the applicants to help one application stand out over another. For example, there are many, many students who apply to the Ivies, and then there are schools that many of those same students will apply to that might be considered to some a tier below but still “prestigious” schools, so if they get denied by the Ivy, they would most likely be admitted at these other schools based on their grades/test scores. If there are students who truly show genuine interest in these schools (via tours, interest days, interview, etc) it might help to separate out their application from the thousands of others that they receive. The admissions offices really don’t have any other way to know that their school is your #1 choice or not. A students’ demonstrated interest does help to show that. They prefer to take the student who truly wants to go to their school.

Wasn‘t putting this out there to sound snarky, but it does matter at some schools where acceptance rates are very low. This, and applying ED both help chances when the coach has little pull. It’s also why the coach will do academic pre-reads to be sure that their recruit has a good shot on getting through admissions before offering a spot on the team.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Just want to also say that what I described is not the same as doing this to prove genuine interest to the coach. What I described above is if the student is dead set on one particular school and is already one of the coach’s top recruits.

ETA: My apologies as your reply was more about a player showing to the coach that they want to attend their school, not the admissions dept.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Wasn‘t putting this out there to sound snarky, but it does matter at some schools where acceptance rates are very low. This, and applying ED both help chances when the coach has little pull. It’s also why the coach will do academic pre-reads to be sure that their recruit has a good shot on getting through admissions before offering a spot on the team.
*sarcasm on*
damn Northeast elitists
*sarcasm off*
😉

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
College websites have information on testing requirements for entry, links to available scholarships, deadlines for various submittals, ... I have told the story before but things like scholarship monies for my dd differed as much as $10,000/year academically based upon her ACT.

DD took unofficial visits to approximately 25 schools. She took all of her official visits. On those official visits, across the spectrum, the college coach would leave the room and a school representative would come in to let us know how much money we could count on. That was aside from the athletic monies. Beware, the pressure will be intense at some schools after that person leaves the room and the coaching staff comes back in. LOL

Mar 28, 2014
College websites have information on testing requirements for entry, links to available scholarships, deadlines for various submittals, ... I have told the story before but things like scholarship monies for my dd differed as much as $10,000/year academically based upon her ACT.

DD took unofficial visits to approximately 25 schools. She took all of her official visits. On those official visits, across the spectrum, the college coach would leave the room and a school representative would come in to let us know how much money we could count on. That was aside from the athletic monies. Beware, the pressure will be intense at some schools after that person leaves the room and the coaching staff comes back in. LOL
25 schools? wow you were busy!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
25 schools? wow you were busy!
We simply stopped by these schools as my dd went to play tournaments. For example, when she played in Chattanooga at The Summit, it was easy to stop at a bunch of schools. Most were recruiting her in some fashion. She made her first unofficial visit as a freshman at a D-I school that was starting their softball program.

Jun 8, 2016
When I was a freshmen we visited Penn State and Rutgers and our family car caught on fire..I didn't end up going to either of those places.. :LOL:

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When I was a freshmen we visited Penn State and Rutgers and our family car caught on fire..I didn't end up going to either of those places.. :LOL:
Tufts softball could probably beat the Tufts baseball tea.m... and put out your parents car!

DD former teammate is playing at Dartmouth and her little sister is a freshman(NARP) at Tufts this year. Go Jumbos!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12