Do college coaches check with the admission office?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
On DD's offical viists all 4 schools set her up with admissions counselors. Not sure if I would do that before being invited for a visit. Unless the school is somewhere your DD will go even if softball is off the table.

Jul 14, 2018
What is the timeline for these steps? Camps in grades 8-10, try to get looked at during showcases as a sophomore or junior, official tours starting fall of junior year? Or should it be sooner?

DD is entering 8th grade, and I thought that this would be the time to start camps. But with Covid shutting things down, who knows?

Thanks to everyone who has been through this for sharing your experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
@Rick M I think that’s a pretty good timeline.

The old line about how when you put popcorn into hot oil and it all pops at a little different time applies here. Don’t get freaked out if it’s too early or too late. I/we did a little and it was unnecessary.

Apr 28, 2014
What is the timeline for these steps? Camps in grades 8-10, try to get looked at during showcases as a sophomore or junior, official tours starting fall of junior year? Or should it be sooner?

DD is entering 8th grade, and I thought that this would be the time to start camps. But with Covid shutting things down, who knows?

Thanks to everyone who has been through this for sharing your experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a good timeline.
I'm not a big fan of paying for recruiting help but one site we did subscribe to was captain U. It cost us $20/month. I think it really helped us narrow down where DD needed to focus her efforts. When she first stepped onto campus at Coastal she knew she wanted to go there but like all schools you really don't know how they feel about ya till Sept 1st of junior year. Captain U helped her take schools off of her list. She would email through the site and as soon as a school opened up her email she would get a notification from captU. If she sent multiple emails to a school and none were opened then she would know to take them off her list.
This saved us tons of money as we wouldn't attend camps and spend lots on travel and hotels if the school didn't even read her emails.
Just as important as knowing who's interested is knowing who's not. Time is of the essence with camps.. can't waste it on schools with no interest.

Mar 28, 2014
This all sounds a lot more like the player recruiting a school than vice versa. At some point the script got flipped on this process. Why is it the player's responsibility to do all of the heavy lifting and courting?

Jun 16, 2010
DD didnt.
Didnt know squat about most schools until she visited.
Didnt pretend either.
Didnt apply to school until after accepted offer.

GPA and ACT are on profile and supplied to coach
This gives coach good idea of what academic and athletic aid he can give her, and if she can meet minimum requirements for school.

You can believe it helps if you want. Not hurting, and helping, are 2 different things.

If you really want to go to a school, and qualify for need based aid...you need to start early for that. Could make a huge difference in being able to attend a school and play there, or not.

Mar 28, 2014
DD didnt.
Didnt know squat about most schools until she visited.
Didnt pretend either.
Didnt apply to school until after accepted offer.

GPA and ACT are on profile and supplied to coach
This gives coach good idea of what academic and athletic aid he can give her, and if she can meet minimum requirements for school.

You can believe it helps if you want. Not hurting, and helping, are 2 different things.

If you really want to go to a school, and qualify for need based aid...you need to start early for that. Could make a huge difference in being able to attend a school and play there, or not.
this is more like it. Why on earth you have to jump through hoops to "prove that you're interested" is beyond me. If it takes all that, they can find some other sucker. If you want a kid, offer them. if you don't, don't. Don't make kids beg you for it. Simple as that.

May 27, 2013
this is more like it. Why on earth you have to jump through hoops to "prove that you're interested" is beyond me. If it takes all that, they can find some other sucker. If you want a kid, offer them. if you don't, don't. Don't make kids beg you for it. Simple as that.

This does depend on the school, though. Some high academic schools do want to see the demonstrated interest from the recruit where a coach’s input doesn’t hold much water with the admissions dept. Since these schools receive so many applications from students who almost all have excellent grades and test scores, it helps to weed out some applicants.

Reactions: TMD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13