Do coaches prohibit players from studying on satellite campuses?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
DD is interested in marine biology. The schools she is most interested in playing for have their marine biology programs at campuses 40+ miles from the university's main campus (where the team practices and plays). Do coaches ever put restrictions on players if they want to study at a satellite campus.

I heard at a nearby DII school that the HC won't let her players study in the college's nursing program because of the demands of time the nursing program puts on players.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Do coaches ever put restrictions on players if they want to study at a satellite campus.

The answer is yes it happens but it varies from school to school and coach to coach. It is a question you ask of the coach and the school during the recruiting process.

Some are really restrictive, some are really accommodating.

Jun 11, 2012
I think it would be really tough to be 40 miles away from the rest of the team especially in season where she’d need to be at campus every day. Or off season for early morning lift sessions.
I’d have her ask the coach about it and see what she says. Some coaches are way more open to things like this than others.

DDs team has a girl studying abroad this fall and while the coach is not thrilled about it she is ok with it happening

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Am I correct in assuming she could not ask that question of the coach until her junior year in HS?

Bit of a grey area as it is more about the program than the individual player. For D1 and d2 they could answer this in a camp group setting before junior year. Other levels could answer it at any stage.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In the cases of Penn State and Pittsburgh many of the satellites have their own athletic programs. In fact Penn State has it's own conference that many of the satellites play in. I can only assume that some other colleges are similar.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Probably depends on what you mean by a satellite campus. For instance University of Michigan Dearborn is considered a different school then U of M ann arbor. In fact they have their own team.

edit to add Looks like FP26 and I posted the same thing at about the same time.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Probably depends on what you mean by a satellite campus. For instance University of Michigan Dearborn is considered a different school then U of M ann arbor. In fact they have their own team.

UConn's marine sciences program is located in Groton, CT, almost 40 miles from the main campus at Storrs, CT. There is no NCAA softball team at the Groton location.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Let's be realistic. Since you are referring to Uconn which is a D1 program, how would a player be able do early morning lifting, eat breakfast drive 40 miles to class and then drive 40 miles back to the main campus for 4 hour practices???? How about game days? They travel to far away places in conference too. Uconn has a new coach coming in and she needs as much stability with her players as possible. Not gonna happen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying