Distracted ump (1st base coach)..what's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Umps in general are pretty poor in SoCal. My estimation would be 10% very good, 20% decent, 30% weak and 40% horrible. Many are up in years and completely immobile. Some need the money and it is pretty sad. The cost of travel ball is already high and adding an extra ump would further raise the price of friendlies. And why would you want an extra ump if there is a 70% chance he will be less than satisfactory. LOL.
Could at this point be the debate
No umpires at friendlies.
Supply your own non paid person to blurt out
Opinions and lose control of the big 1:15 minutes and 3.65 % innings they play.
Oh wait not all that time is actual playing....
So...just need a blurted out opinion for about 55 minutes.

...does an umpire really matter when there are no standards/guideline applied in the game anyway?

Last edited:
May 16, 2012
Missouri

Umps in general are pretty poor in SoCal. My estimation would be 10% very good, 20% decent, 30% weak and 40% horrible. Many are up in years and completely immobile. Some need the money and it is pretty sad. The cost of travel ball is already high and adding an extra ump would further raise the price of friendlies. And why would you want an extra ump if there is a 70% chance he will be less than satisfactory. LOL.
What are you doing to change it? In other words, shut up until you have a credible solution. All you are doing is adding to the problem. Am I being a little harsh? Oh well, you brought it on yourself.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Could at this point be the debate
No umpires at friendlies.
Supply your own non paid person to blurt out
Opinions and lose control of the big 1:15 minutes and 3.65 % innings they play.
Oh wait not all that time is actual playing....
So...just need a blurted out opinion for about 55 minutes.

...does an umpire really matter when there are no standards/guideline applied in the game anyway?
Dad behind the mound umps are a great idea. Lowers expectations and keeps it FRIENDLY. Might be a little dangerous at higher levels.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What are you doing to change it? In other words, shut up until you have a credible solution. All you are doing is adding to the problem. Am I being a little harsh? Oh well, you brought it on yourself.
I really wasn't complaining. Just making an observation. Not sure how that adds to the problem. An ump can make $250/300 plus a day. It can be hard work under the sun. You would think that would be enough money to get some younger college student aged young men and women to come out and earn some cash. Maybe its a reflection of our society. You are right, I don't have a solution.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Talking about it brings attention to its situation.

There is supposedly a way to get feedbacks to the umpires leadership commitees...:)
The hoohaa's incharge...

Protesting games= complaint forms.

Yet with that
Seems do not see a better umpiring standard on the field.

umpiring takes more than knowing rules.
It takes a standard to apply the rules.
Without a boss watching and evaluating...super hard to hold a standard.

How about this brainstorm ;)

Umpires must video all of their games for review!!!!! *umpires in charge/commitee review it!!!
Give them a go pro to clip on the fence. New part of tools for the trade,
$10 bucks more for each game.----might---- produce better officiating?!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2016
I think umpires should get a list of employment places all the coaches and spectators work at, so they can go to those places of business and complain about how they do their jobs. That would fix the shortage crisis.

Mar 28, 2014
So much wrong in this video. First of all only one umpire. That right there gives the coaches zero right to question any calls during that game. They should expect some missed calls. Also, obstruction or not, the 3rd base coach shouldn't have sent the runner. She was out even if she doesn't get delayed by a few milliseconds like she did. And the 1st base coach should not be yelling at the ump about balls and strikes. He was the reason for the distraction so he has to shoulder part of the blame.

Bottom line the coaches need to look inward before trying to assign blame. There is where they will see the true culprits.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think umpires should get a list of employment places all the coaches and spectators work at, so they can go to those places of business and complain about how they do their jobs. That would fix the shortage crisis.
Aside from snarky nonsense.

Is there a way to
Make a better appealing environment to draw more umpires?

If the position was more respected would that help?
Or
is it only the appeal of a paycheck?

To some degree see the advent of sloppy ran games in friendlies produces the most complaint by coaches and fans.
Along with lax player guidelines.
Kinda deteriorates the role of the blue.

Maybe umpiring is a calling for some.
Perhaps some found it a part time gig income.
Not sure at all why some umpire, they seem to not give a hoot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06