Distracted ump (1st base coach)..what's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016
As the OP of this thread, I just happened to find and see the video and the play itself was interesting to see all the variables and dynamics happen in just seconds. I have no interest other than I thought it would be a good video to break down and see how we all view things differently even with a video to slow down and play frame by frame.

I agree with many on here and even changed my mind while reading some. I think in the end I agree that the runner WAS obstructed or hindered TO 3rd base and while ON 3rd base...but when she began to leave 3rd to home, she no longer was. Now, was her "getting up" slowed by the 3rd baseman? Yes, I think it was, but as others have said, that doesn't mean it's obstruction TO home.

Common sense says it is, she couldn't get up fast as she would have, but that's not in the rule I guess.

Glad this brought some discussion... I think the ump in the short split seconds he had did OK. Although he shouldn't have looked at 1st base coach and should have watched the entire play down left field line instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd