Distracted ump (1st base coach)..what's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2019
Everyone complains about the lack of umpires, but threads like these just reinforce why nobody wants to ump anymore. I thought about getting in umpiring a few years back, just because I love the game. However, the aggravation would take over the fun of it in no time. My DD has said that she wants to get into umpiring, and I told her that "If you do, I am writing you out of my will" :p

As far as the play goes, I have an out at home.

Jun 11, 2012
It wasn’t a strike but sometimes bad strikes get called. That being said why did the coach send the runner? She wasn’t going to make it even if it was a clean throw

Mar 6, 2016
Yep, TB friendlies or rec games never have 2 umps out here in So Cal. Only tourny games or playoff games have 2.

And as others have said, in a TB friendly if a batter gets hit by pitch or a walk we just put a runner on and let her hit. Sometimes it does bite ya. My DD got hit in the helmet. So her team put a runner on and she hit again but then ended up getting a K. Gamechanger parent puts it in as a K for stats. lol 🤬 Ummm..ok,

Mar 28, 2014
Yep, TB friendlies or rec games never have 2 umps out here in So Cal. Only tourny games or playoff games have 2.

And as others have said, in a TB friendly if a batter gets hit by pitch or a walk we just put a runner on and let her hit. Sometimes it does bite ya. My DD got hit in the helmet. So her team put a runner on and she hit again but then ended up getting a K. Gamechanger parent puts it in as a K for stats. lol 🤬 Ummm..ok,
I can't believe the 1st base coach was being like that in a scrimmage game. Come on coach.

Also, If she would have hit a dinger would you have wanted it as a dinger in gamechanger? Or a walk? ;)

Aug 25, 2019
Everyone complains about the lack of umpires, but threads like these just reinforce why nobody wants to ump anymore. I thought about getting in umpiring a few years back, just because I love the game. However, the aggravation would take over the fun of it in no time. My DD has said that she wants to get into umpiring, and I told her that "If you do, I am writing you out of my will" :p

As far as the play goes, I have an out at home.
Do it brother!.....Two years ago I was in your shoes. I was watching DD play softball and saw some bad umpiring. I sat there and said "I can do better than that", but unlike the 99.9% of people who complain about umpiring, I signed up and did it. I enjoy doing it, and I must do a good job since I really don't hear from parents or coaches. I've made some mistakes along the way, but I've learned form them and they don't happen again (mostly).

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Maybe it is because of the location, maybe it is the orgs involved, maybe I have just been lucky. But I have never had to work a game where the basic rules have been changed. If you draw a walk, you go to first, if you are HBP, you go to first. As an umpire, or even as a coach (I think), I would want the rules to be applied if what we are doing is anything other than an intra-squad scrimmage. What I am hearing is these folks want an umpire to apply the rules, well some of them, some of the time, but others all of the time and others still none of the time. Then we get situations called out in forums like DFP, where as umpires, we presume that the games are being played under the stated rule code and we have to justify why we thought an umpire was right or wrong. I think the second question I ask in rules threads from now on, after the first being "which rule set" will be, "Was this a friendly or a real game?" If it is a friendly, the correct answer will always be "Had to be there to know what was agreed to beforehand, but it doesn't really matter since it doesn't count anyway".

Please, if there is a situation that arises and you want to know what the ruling would be in a real game, played under real consistent rules, just give the situation and we can have a discussion about the play itself. But no more "Worst umpire I saw this weekend" posts if only some of the rules apply.

P.S. On the play in the video, I have obstruction and I am protecting the runner on the return to 3rd, if she advances past that it is at her own peril, out at the plate.

Oct 11, 2018
P.S. On the play in the video, I have obstruction and I am protecting the runner on the return to 3rd, if she advances past that it is at her own peril, out at the plate.

So if you are protecting her back to 3rd, you are protecting her between 3rd and home. What rule set allows you to call her out if she attempts home. I don't know of any. She is either protected between 3rd and home or she is not. Based on this video she was obstructed past 3rd and she is protected between 3rd and home.

Oct 24, 2010
Unless the rule set is derived from OBR, the runner is protected between the bases. The award is 3rd or home, not out.
For all other softball, there was no play on a different runner when the runner acquired 3rd, and she is still protected between the bases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan