"Distance Not an Issue"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Most of the players are engaging in team practices (high school) just not with this particular team.
Does a team like this really need a coach?

Finally ... bring on the robo-coaches so I can quit questioning some of their more idiotic decisions and actions. ;)

Seriously though ... there are plenty of teams who would be better without the coach interjecting himself into the game. The coaches' work should be mostly done in practice and the games should practically run themselves.

Interesting thing about calling some of the "higher level" stuff I have seen over the last few years are the teams that come with one coach who you barely ever see or hear from. The players play and they know what they need to do.

Jun 8, 2016
Finally ... bring on the robo-coaches so I can quit questioning some of their more idiotic decisions and actions. ;)

Seriously though ... there are plenty of teams who would be better without the coach interjecting himself into the game. The coaches' work should be mostly done in practice and the games should practically run themselves.

Interesting thing about calling some of the "higher level" stuff I have seen over the last few years are the teams that come with one coach who you barely ever see or hear from. The players play and they know what they need to do.
My kid gave herself the green light last game. She said she saw the SS playing way in the hole and figured there was no way she could cover. I asked if she was sure the 2b wasn’t covering..didn’t get an answer on that 😂

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Bob, you said your team did 2-3 practices per year plus a few scrimmages. The women playing in the Olympics are better than any of our girls will ever be, yet they still practice for weeks, if not a month, before they embark on any games of meaning. These women are at the pinnacle of their sport, and they still practice together. Yes, they do a ton of work on their own, but when it comes to playing on the biggest stage, they don't walk in cold.

Obviously, I'm not going to change your minds. You don't see the value in team practices. That's your choice. Just make sure you tell your daughter's future college coach you won't be attending practices because you can do the work on your own. Extreme? Maybe. But just because it works for you now, doesn't mean it will always be the case.
Don't understand why I would tell my daughters future college coach that she won't be attending softball practice. My daughter had no problem attending every high school practice for basketball or softball. She also had no issue with pre season workout stuff involved with high school softball. That was a pretty dumb comment!

Jun 11, 2013
Most of the players are engaging in team practices (high school) just not with this particular team.
Does a team like this really need a coach?
I remember back in 12U we played a team where the coach gave no direction to the players. He would ask them after a play why they did something but they were on their own to steal, take extra bases,etc. They could just crush the ball so truthfully most decisions were whether or not to go for a triple or a double but it was really interesting to watch them play. Even on D, they positioned where they felt.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Don't understand why I would tell my daughters future college coach that she won't be attending softball practice. My daughter had no problem attending every high school practice for basketball or softball. She also had no issue with pre season workout stuff involved with high school softball. That was a pretty dumb comment!
Well, you said several times practicing as a team was overrated and that God-given talent was more important.You also said you can get more done with your daughter at home than at a team practice. I also said that it would be extreme to say that, as if to imply I wasn't being serious. Of course, no one would tell a college coach that. I just don't understand how you can say there's no value to team practices. If your coach stinks, which I don't think yours does, I could see that.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Well, you said several times practicing as a team was overrated and that God-given talent was more important.You also said you can get more done with your daughter at home than at a team practice. I also said that it would be extreme to say that, as if to imply I wasn't being serious. Of course, no one would tell a college coach that. I just don't understand how you can say there's no value to team practices. If your coach stinks, which I don't think yours does, I could see that.

God given talent and personal drive is what I said was more important than team softball practice. That is not even an argument, that is a fact. It is proven every weekend by the top tier travel teams across the country.

Please go back and find where I said team practices have "no value". Good luck finding that.

Jun 8, 2016

He said overrated, not useless. I agree.

There are things that you can do in a team practice that you cannot do on your own. List them and then think hard and put a percent on how many games are won or lost because of them vs the hitting/fielding/pitching stuff that can be done separately. Heck softball is 3/4 pitching and none of that is really developed in team practice

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
God given talent and personal drive is what I said was more important than team softball practice. That is not even an argument, that is a fact. It is proven every weekend by the top tier travel teams across the country.

Please go back and find where I said team practices have "no value". Good luck finding that.
Sorry, I guess "extremely overrated" just sounded too similar to no value.

@pattar

1) Live hitting.
2) Live pitching.
3) Base running drills.
4) Pickle plays and run down.
5) Situational cuts and relays.

Those are the things colleges work on more than anything, at least the practices I've watched. And I would say at least 4 out of 5 occur in every game.

Lastly, if your team did practice regularly, and the distance wasn't unreasonable, would you go?

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry, I guess "extremely overrated" just sounded too similar to no value.

@pattar

1) Live hitting.
2) Live pitching.
3) Base running drills.
4) Pickle plays and run down.
5) Situational cuts and relays.

Those are the things colleges work on more than anything, at least the practices I've watched. And I would say at least 4 out of 5 occur in every game.

Lastly, if your team did practice regularly, and the distance wasn't unreasonable, would you go?
Yeah..I know what college practices are like. I didn’t say they didn’t occur every game. Go and do the exercise I told you to do. Also, live hitting/pitching in practice occurs infrequently at the TB level..you know that. Finally, for the 100th time, yes I would go because it has value just not as much as the “get off my lawn, there are too many K’s and not enough bunts MLB type fans” want to attribute to it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00